Solid food...not really loving it

inkslingerdiva
on 4/5/11 1:59 pm - Dumfries, VA
VSG on 01/22/11 with
I'm a couple months out. I can eat small amounts of solid food..and I am very strict about my protein/produce mantra. Still, I find I lose interest in eating even if it tastes good. Were it not for Designer Whey I would not be getting my protein in.

I never thought eating would become tedious. I don't know if it's a phase but I just have an apathy towards solid food. I feel like meals are an unwanted obligation. I eat a varied diet so I don't think it's appetite fatigue.

I maintain good numbers through strict food journaling but I feel a growing...dissatisfaction...almost a dislike of food. It worries me. I don't know what, if anything, I should do

...advice?
SW: 228Lbs. GW: 125Lbs. Goal in 14.5 Months CW: 122.7Lbs Down 105.3Lbs

sleeve genie
on 4/5/11 2:09 pm - Alhambra, CA
 I'm sorry that you are experiencing this.   I have no words of wisdom as i am completly the opposite.   I am always hungry and i eat too much :o(  I hope this resolves itself for you.  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

chadhat
on 4/5/11 2:58 pm - WA
I feel pretty much the same as you(also had the surgery 1/12).  Really not interested in food anymore.  Find solids tedious and so go for soups, lighter foods just to sustinance.  Best restaurant meal I had was when I went to a tapas place and loved just eating bits and pieces of a lot of different dishes.  Tried a lot of different types of food.

I love the weight loss - but have not really enjoyed a meal that much, or ever look forward to something.  Hope this changes as time goes by.  I eat eggs,  get some carnation breakfast w/ milk and some soups etc.

What is designer Whey ?  Looved the term appetite fatigue.

Tarun
TC
Kirkland WA
(deactivated member)
on 4/5/11 11:23 pm
I am right there with you! I'm almost a month out and I can't stand solid foods! Is it ok to stay on mushies and protein shakes for a while? 

Its so hard imaging what it felt like to eat an entire plate of food and still pick on others plates isn't. hehe
inkslingerdiva
on 4/6/11 7:46 am - Dumfries, VA
VSG on 01/22/11 with
I really just don't enjoy eating much. It may taste good but I still don't want it. I do ff soups, ff cottage cheese, chicken, tuna, etc.

Designer Whey is a brand of protein powder you mix with water, ice, milk or juice. "Appetite Fatigue". is when your body ceases to absorb the nutrients from food because you have eaten it too much ...like living on a certain single food for a year.
SW: 228Lbs. GW: 125Lbs. Goal in 14.5 Months CW: 122.7Lbs Down 105.3Lbs

wert
on 4/6/11 2:00 am - MN
Me, too. Eating is a chore. I'm not hungry at all. Don't want anything. Yesterday I decided to give myself permission to not eat for a day or 2. I get my fluids in. And today I'm going to try to choke down some Isopure crap. It's only 20 oz. and 40 gr. protein. If I'm not going to eat I at least have to get the protein in some how. I go back for a post-op doctor and NUT visit on Monday. I'll see how things are by then. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Lina P.
on 4/6/11 4:18 am - Bolton, Canada
I think it's a phase we all go through.
I remember getting annoyed with the fact that I'd have to cook a whole meal for 3 bites that I was consuming. Peeved me off a bit, ya know?....lol

That'll change when your tummy fully heals and you're able to eat at least 3 oz of anything.
There's nothing wrong with continuing with the mushie phase either.
Height: 5 ft - Age: 42
Bougie size: 36 oversewn to 34  
 CW: 135 lbs
Happy in the 130's but... On to my second goal!

glendary
on 4/6/11 7:08 am
It will pass.  It did for me.  I went through the same thing.  Now I just have no hunger but can eat almost anything.  I don't eat carbs and stick with protein first... so there is little room for veggies or fruit. 

It is just a phase.  You have always been able to eat without thinking about it and now for the last two months or so you have had to think about every bite.  It gets old and the body and mind are tired of having to think so much about food.  Kinda like doing something over and over and over... you have tired of eating and lost your desire for it.  I think it is a natural part of what we are doing and it can be a good thing. 

When you get to this point, you are eating to live and not living to eat.  That is what I am telling myself and I am ok with my progress and what I eat these days.  Soon, you will be too.
Glendary        
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 323 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 367 views