Fellow night shift workers, or anyone that may have some advice..

Momof2Sweeties
on 4/7/11 3:04 am - NJ
I am still trying to work out how things are going to go for me working night shift. I am looking for some advice on how I should add my totals for the day, in terms of food and water...in other words what I eat or drink after midnight should they be added to the previous days totals, or the new days totals...just not sure how to do this...thank you so much for any advice that is given...

Shannon

a.walker
on 4/7/11 3:10 am, edited 4/7/11 3:11 am - Salina, KS
I worked night shift for a lot of years, and when I was on diets at that time and actually keeping track of calories or whatever, I always used from the time I woke up to the time I went to sleep as my "day". I worked 12 hour night shifts, so I would normally get home at 8am, and be in bed by 9am. When I woke up, the first thing I ate, I would consider "breakfast", and go from there. I usually got up around 3-4pm, so my day actually started there. It gets a little bit confusing when you start to have days off, where you're awake during the day, but that's how I worked it back then. I haven't worked night shift since I had the VSG, but I'm thinking I would do the same thing to keep track.

If you don't work overnights, but work late into the night I would still use the same criteria. The time you wake up starts your day, and when you go to bed the day is over.
Amy  -- 5'8"

Momof2Sweeties
on 4/7/11 6:52 am - NJ
Thank you for your post. I do work overnight and what you are describing sounds good. I know for me, it matters that I do this, because I want to be sure of calories, fats, carbs, protein and water intake amounts that go in on daily basis..

Shannon

MediumSoon
on 4/7/11 4:02 am - TX
I can't imagine that it matters - as long as you are consistent. But really - over time it shouldn't matter at all. If in any given 24-hour period you get your protein and fluid you should be fine.

sublimate
on 4/7/11 4:19 am - San Jose, CA
I would also count it as one day, from the time you wake up until you go to sleep.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

loolootoo
on 4/7/11 6:09 am
hey i'm a night nurse......

in my journal, a new day starts when i  get up and ends at bedtime.  i'm usually up by 2pm and to bed by 7am. 

has worked out just fine!.    i take my food to work in lil 4 ounce containers and take my shake as well.....usually take more servings than i need in case its a slow-snacky kind of shift.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 129 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 378 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 415 views