Unhappy sleeve...AGAIN!

Whitney J.
on 4/5/11 3:44 pm - CA
 Well, today I am 2 weeks post op. I have been having the same problem every day since surgery and I thought I found my problem...eating to fast but thats not it. Well, it might be part of it. So Fro Yo is the only thing I can eat without ANY problems until I tried it for the 3rd time last night. It wasn't going down without a fight! Today everything I have tried did the same thing, from water to mushed veggies. I take a bite and wait for a sensation. Two tiny bites is all it takes. I have no desire to even eat. I only try because I am so hungry and know I need to eat As I've said in another post, I have terrible pain/discomfort as the food meets the Pyloris. My Dr. confirmed that. She felt it was from the swelling in my sleeve. So I'm going to bed hungry again. I'm just hoping someone can relate to this and give me a pointer or two. Part of me, the addict part, thinks this might be part of the process for me to mentally lose interest in food. It's definately working. When I came home from surgery I was obsessed with wanting to eat, until each time I did, this would happen until I grew use vto the idea of dreading food. I know this is a rambling post but...had my meds and my mind is so foggy. I'm just far from feeling normal, mentally and physically and frustrated because of it. Thanks for reading.
diane S.
on 4/5/11 4:16 pm
two weeks woudl just be starting mushy food for some people and some people are not ready that soon. work with your doctor of course but i would just drink nothing but protein drinks for  a few more days to get hte nourishment you need. maybe some pureed soup. also, skim milk can be a godsend especially if warm as it is more comfortable to eat. Some people just take a little longer to get to mushy stuff.  my first mushy was a scrambled egg. it went down fine so 6 hours later ate another one. puked it up. early on, sleeve can be fickle. in the next couple of weeks i bet things change  a lot. drink warm chicken broth as comfort food but get the low sodium kind. gl. diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

ZenBunni
on 4/5/11 8:56 pm - Ashburn, VA
The first month was by far the hardest for me. I started solids too soon and irritated my incision. Just do what you can, listen to your Dr and just keep fluids and protein shakes down if thats all you can tolerate.

It does get better - Promise =)

MrsClaus09
on 4/5/11 9:42 pm
I agree with diane....thinking maybe you're trying too much too soon.  I am three weeks today and still on full liquids.  But, looking forward to being changed to soft foods at my 3 week appt.  Try some liquids, take it slow, slow, slow and see how you feel.  Good luck!
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
ursieursie
on 4/5/11 11:21 pm - NJ
Wow, I really wish I had answers for u . I did not have the sleeve yet. Im first starting out, but im not reading good things, but as everyone else is saying....eventually it gets better.  My sister had the gastric bypass, and i know thats different, but she had a problem like u, and it took her a long time to adjust, but she did it, and now all is well......Sooooo I just want to say hang in there,  as best u can.  I didn't have the sleeve yet as i said, but i feel ur pain and frustration. I am someone who has weighed up to 475 lbs, and has major discomfort in my stomach from 16 abdominal surgeries previously, (bowel obstrucions and hernias), with everyyyyy ailment,  and recently diagnosed with lupus too, in the book.   May god bless u
SapphireStar
on 4/5/11 11:44 pm - Puyallup, WA

You may want to stay on liquids a little longer. My surgeon requires VSG patients to stay on liquids for 4 weeks after surgery. I think your sleeve might just need a little more time to heel.

Carmelita
on 4/5/11 11:45 pm - Four Corners, NM
baby steps...ya know all good things come to those who WAIT!! lolol....yeah yer head is tellin ya yer ready but yer tummy says....back it up babe! full protein based liquids for awhiles longer!  You can use yogurt make smoothies a little thinner now. Lotsa sf popscicles/fudgesicles...will help with swellin.
absolute musts in Dr. Carmelita's book of VSG ;-) for you inc:
protein shakes
required vitamins minerals!! whether they come from liquid, chewies, suppositories (thee best imo!)
required fluids
cream of chicken soup!
EXERCISE...promotes healin!!

Need to chew, get past cravings...spit don't swallow! incs.  chewing sf gum!!
byebyeburden
on 4/6/11 12:57 am
I did a really good job about not eating too fast at the beginning but find now I am eating in 10 minutes.  So I have to remind myself, slow down, slow down, SLOW down!!!  good luck
~Emily
Surgery Date Weight: 255 

Goal 1: 199 reached 3/4/11
Goal 2: 175
Goal 3: 150
Goal 3: 129

Whitney J.
on 4/6/11 4:30 am - CA
 Thank you all for your replies. The NUT is the one who told me to start phase 2 after i got home. Dr said stay on phase 1 longer. I am trying to do more protein drinks as I definately need more energy. So I will take all of your advise and do more liquids, especially after hearing about liquids until 4 weeks out. I like the protein drinks I make so I 'll stick with them since I can adjust the ingredients for flavor. It's so nice hearing from others though because I tend to get into a rut since this is all new. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views