What about Greens

smbergie200
on 4/5/11 11:39 pm - Naples, FL
If your stomach is so small after surgery how the heck do you get the recommended daily servings of alive stuff like vegetables. I hear all the time there are nutrients in green stuff that no supplement can replace.

I assume that maybe people "juice" their veggies with a juicer that removes the fiber and allows you to eat lots of veggies.  At least that's what I plan to do.

So how do you get your greens?

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

USAF Wife
on 4/5/11 11:55 pm
I stuck with green beans and broccoli through the losing stage as they mushed down to nothing, and I could eat a few ounces. Now, at 22 months out, I can eat a decent size spinach salad without issue. Of course, I can't eat an entire salad at a restaurant, but I get in plenty of veggies. I skip fruit a lot because I'm just not a fruit eater, never was pre-op either. I do eat dried fruits on occasion, but it's limited quantities. I try to eat 3oz of protein, and then wait a bit and eat veggies. I couldn't get in the recommended amount of "whole grains" if I tried. So, what the recommended amounts are for people with normal anatomy just don't apply to me. I have to do what's best for my body, my caloric needs, and what makes me feel best physically and mentally.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

gonersmom
on 4/6/11 1:54 am
I agree with your comment about the 'recommended amounts are for people with normal anatomy'.  Sometimes I wonder (call me a conspiracy theorist) if the 'recommended' amounts of foods, especially the grains/carbs for normal people aren't in an 'abnormal' amount, just adding to a nations obesity problem.  Hmmm....maybe that's why the 'diet' industry is making big $$, as well as Big Pharmacy and the AMA.  *Rant Off*  :-)  

Doing the best for 'my body, my needs"....oh yeah!!  

Let me help you with bariatric friendly cooking.  www.pamperedchef.biz/gawnecooking
hollykim
on 4/6/11 2:32 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I eat a lot of cooked turnip greens. I love them anyway and cooked down they are easy to eat and I can eat about a half cup. I eat them for snack a couple of times a day.

I find it hard to get enough protein in without adding a couple of protein shakes a day.

Once I get  some of my protein from shakes,it is easier to get the rest  of it from my foods and also leaves me enough room to get some green things in too.

Good luck
Holly

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 367 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views