Hubby is thinking about getting the vsg

melanie L.
on 4/8/11 8:24 am
So my hubby went for the seminar almost a yr ago. He finally decided he wants to go for the consult. His appointment is on the 28th of this month. Im worried that he wont be able to do this. He is a big snapple drinker, he can drink 64 plus ozs a day. He wont drink diet, Ive tried. Ive tried g2, poweraid zero, crystal light, sf hawian punch, all I get is no. Btw, I had the vsg feb of last yr. He sees what I have gone through. He knos the deal w/ sugar and soda. I have been trying to get him to start drinking sf stuff before the surgery like I did.  Im just scared that he will do the vsg and not be happy. Or he wont be able to deal w/ the 3 week liquid diet that follows. At one point he mentioned the ds, I talked him out of it. He doesnt need any potty issues. Not that all ds'ers have issues, but i told him leave the plumbing alone. So I have no clue what i should do. He does need to lose the weight, even his psych dr wrote him a letter, the weight needs to come off. Any suggestions would be appreciated.. thanks...

babzmcgee
on 4/8/11 8:38 am
 I would suggest to let him find his own path on this journey. Let him to the research and make his own educated decision. He has you as a positive example, now he can start his own journey. I wish you both the best of luck!
OH Support Group Leader

diane S.
on 4/8/11 8:46 am
well, at least he is considering this. We all know that after surgery sweet stuff seems disgusting for awhile and that make break him of his sugared drink habits. Maybe he can at least cut back on them and drin****d tea or something else for fluid.  And he should read the book "The End of Overeating"by Dr. Kessler which tells how food companies, including sugared drink makers, formulate their products to make them addictive with combinations of sugar, fat , salt and additives. It makes you mad enough at those food companies to make you not want to eat their products. May give him a different view of Snapple.

Anyway, good he is having the consult and he will find his way. I wish my husband would do it but he just can't understand how I can be happy eating so little. We all know the secret. GL.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Sniffles...
on 4/8/11 8:50 am - Hendersonville, TN
I agree with the prior posters... you've done all you can on the information, education, inspiration front... He will have to digest all of this and decide for himself... I say let him go for it... you never know how he will react once on the other side... He may end up doing very well. Good luck!

Height 5'9" Highest BMI - 45.3 Current BMI - 24.2
03/27/10 - 307 (pre-surgery),    03/30/10 - 303 (surgery),    Now - 164    
maggieandrockysmo
mma

on 4/8/11 9:28 am
Well, my husband was sleeved a few weeks before I was and we went through everything together... and your husband sounds a lot like my husband pre-op... and I had my doubts... however, he figured it out on his own and so far has done great... well beyond great... so far has lost 57 lbs post-op and his surgery was 3/3/2011.
melanie L.
on 4/8/11 9:42 am
Ty for all ur comments. Im hoping he will do good and not blame me when he realizes he cant eat 3 slices of pizza...

wert
on 4/8/11 9:59 am - MN
Is that what he really wants? 3 slices of pizza and soft drinks? If so, maybe WLS isn't for him. He has to come to his own realization on this or it'll never work. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

LittleMissSunshine
on 4/8/11 9:47 am
Has he tried Propel Zero (grape is my favorite)?

As for which proceedure, someone just responded to another thread I have in another forum (the one asking for band to sleeve revision for a friend) with this link... it's a great comparison chart of the different procedures:

http://www.lapband.obeseinfo.com/Bariatric-Surgery-Chart.htm

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/11 10:17 am
Well you have been there and you know what will happen if he tries to drink sugary drinks and eat more than he should.  He will learn the hard way.  Once its done you can't go back...
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 243 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 310 views