Metlife Hates Fat People

smbergie200
on 4/11/11 3:54 pm - Naples, FL
My wife and I got denied for life insurance because we are going to a weight loss clinic. Looks like us future bariatric patients are untouchables. Maybe after I get my surgery and reach goal I will try again.

Oh the world hates fat people

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

doggz109
on 4/11/11 3:58 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
It is unfortunate - but it makes business sense.  Just like someone who drives recklessly is going to pay more for auto insurance - someone who is reckless with their health is going to pay more (or be denied) for life insurance.

Hopefully once the weight is gone they will change their mind.  Good luck to ya.
LittleMissSunshine
on 4/11/11 4:01 pm
I think i saw something on another thread that some insurance plans are sketchy during the first year or so post-op (if you don't already have coverage), but are fine once you've got an established track record of not having any issues related to surgery...though band patients might run into more resistance than other types as risk of complications go up as the years roll on. 

Hopefully it's just a short term refusal and it won't be an issue a year from now

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

jbskaggs
on 4/11/11 4:05 pm - holt, MO
 I can't believe Snoopy and Woodstock wouldn't like fat people. ;)

Waning Woman
on 4/11/11 4:23 pm - TX
lol@ jbskaggs
    Follow my journey at http://waningwoman.com/
OldMedic
on 4/12/11 1:38 am - Alvaton, KY
There is no way that any life insurance company will take someone that has just has weight loss surgery.  The risk of complications are still too high, there is noguarantee that you will actually lose the weight, etc., etc.

Most of them will take you 2 years after surgery, and they won't rate you for a higher premium if you have lost your excess (or most of it) and kept it off.  If you are still obese, then you may have to pay a MUCH higher fee and go to a secondary tier company.

All life insurance is a gamble.  The company is betting that you will stay alive long enought for them to make a profit off of you, you are betting that you won't.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

Paula622
on 4/12/11 3:36 am
There have been lots of posts about this. Seems like most insurance companies have a WLS exclusion.  Some have a time limit, but many others just refuse to write you a policy if you've ever had WLS.  I'd recommend getting life insurance before having surgery and maybe just not mention that it is in your future plans.

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

MediumSoon
on 4/12/11 12:19 pm - TX
My insurance agent said he could write it after 6 months. Check with another company and try to find out what criteria you have to meet. There ARE real companies out there that will write policies - assuming things go well and you have lost and kept weight off.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views