Spicy food

Cusscusscutie
on 4/12/11 11:07 am - MA
Just curios if you can eat spicy food post-op ?
Linda B.
on 4/12/11 11:16 am
Well, me personally no I can't. anything tomtoie causes heart burn. I don't know about peppers of the hot variety but chili nearly killed me, and I only had 2 oz, BUT I have read that some are perfectly fine with it.....just not me

KathyA999
on 4/12/11 11:22 am
I love spicy food!  I have to be careful that I'm current on my PPI, and I might take a Pepcid if I need to, but I do eat spicy food.  I seem to react to tomato-based things more than spicy, for some reason. I tend to put red pepper flakes in just about everything I cook. Sunday I bought that Costco shrimp wonton soup that everyone seems to rave about, and loved it, but loved it more with a squirt of Sriracha hot chili sauce, LOL!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

LunaLovegood
on 4/12/11 11:23 am - WA
I love spicy food (but I'm kind of wimpy so spicy to me is not very spicy to normal people) and I usually do fine with it.  The only thing that didn't work for me was peppered beef jerkey - it was delicious but it gave me horrible heartburn :(  

Weight: Highest 317, Consult 311, Surgery 292, Current 210.8
Weight lost by month: 22, 13, 11, 8, 6, 5, 5, 6, 3, 0, next update 12/5.    
Cusscusscutie
on 4/12/11 11:29 am - MA
jbskaggs
on 4/12/11 11:53 am - holt, MO
 I eat it all the time.  If I eat too much it gives foamies though- otherwise no probs.

AuntieLoLo
on 4/12/11 11:55 am - VA
VSG on 12/20/10 with
I have always loved spicy food.  The spicier the better!  But, now that I am 4 months post-op, the spicy scares me a bit, since I cannot drink while I eat.  So, I try to tone it down a little.  That said, I ventured out last Friday for some spicy Indian, and had my favorite Chicken Tikka Massala.  I ate maybe half a cup, and was sick as a dog.  I had to go lie down for a couple of hours after I had eaten.  It was miserable. 

I won't make that mistake again!
(deactivated member)
on 4/12/11 12:12 pm - Castle Rock, CO
 ooooooh so sorry to hear abt your trouble w/chicken tikka masala venture.. that is one of my staples these days actually (protein + spice + flavor) and it's basically like a nice creamy tomato soup! lol 

i only get any discomfort like what you described if i eat too fast or beyond capacity.. i am only 10 weeks out and can eat about 3 tbsps of the curry w/some bite-size chicken pieces chewed well, i also add a wedge of laughing cow cheese to it to smoothen out and a lil more protein. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/11 12:08 pm - Castle Rock, CO
PLENTY PLENTY PLENTY .. hehe

i generally NEED to have spicy food in my diet by nature.. grew up on it traditionally. 

i added chilis and spice powders to broths/soups in the beg stages, then to all the pureed foods, everything to my heart's content! 

also, since our capacity is so little to begin with, i feel i need to have a LOT of flavor in the very little quantity of foods i eat so my taste buds have become more sensitive to this too i think.. 

just be careful of the acid / any reflux issues you have, if you're on meds for controlling this then it should be fine. 
Jenijeni
on 4/12/11 12:30 pm
I can't live without Red Hot and Cholula and Tabasco... Maybe some spicy V-8 and a little jalapeño or habanero salsa... I tolerate all of it just fine and think I'd be going crazy if I couldn't! First mushy food was chili with hot sauce, first cream soup was cream of chicken with red hot. Lol!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 391 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views