Pre-surgery and family concerned

JT0825
on 4/14/11 5:48 am - Upland, CA
VSG on 08/23/11 with
I have finished all the testing and am just waiting final insurance approval and a surgery date.  My mom and brother have always shown some concern for my choice to do this, but my husband and sisters have been supportive.  Today my dad voiced his concern.  I take his very seriously as he doesn't chime in on much, so for him to talk to me alone about it kind of shook me up.  I am still certain I want to do it.  Has anyone else had to deal with this?  How do you convince your loved ones that it will be ok?   
Julie, Upland, CA    
Kristy R.
on 4/14/11 6:01 am - Santa Clara, CA
 I would calmly explain the medical facts about remaining morbidly obese vs.  having a surgery that will help you take control of your health.  That's about as plain as I can make it.  Best wishes.
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

Kristy R.
on 4/14/11 6:02 am - Santa Clara, CA
On April 14, 2011 at 1:01 PM Pacific Time, Kristine R. wrote:
 I would calmly explain the medical facts about remaining morbidly obese vs.  having a surgery that will help you take control of your health.  That's about as plain as I can make it.  Best wishes.
 PS - sometimes you just can't "convince" anyone.  But you can say your piece, respect their opinion and move ahead with what you feel is best for YOU.

Dee W.
on 4/14/11 6:02 am
Hi Julie,

It is hard when family doesn't approve. I would let them know this is to improve your quality of life! If you have disease or issues caused from weight explain that they will greatly improve with this surgery. Some people don't understand. I try to talk to people who are supportive and positive about my surgery. My surgery is a hard sell to family. Leaving to Mexico for surgery didn't go over well. I pray they will learn to accept it and be supportive. I bet when they see my health improve they will be happy. 

Hang in there and reach out to others for support!
mimikay
on 4/14/11 6:03 am
Remind them your health is the reason you're doing it. In the end, it's your decision, your body. You'll probably have some doubts as you get closer, but keep your eyes on the goal. I was ready with the statistics if I had needed them. I also reminded them that they would not have a problem with me having my gall bladder or appendix removed if it were causing me problems. Well, my stomach was causing me problems! Good luck!
  Kay       HW 219/SW 212/CW 134              
Kristy R.
on 4/14/11 6:13 am - Santa Clara, CA
On April 14, 2011 at 1:03 PM Pacific Time, mimikay wrote:
Remind them your health is the reason you're doing it. In the end, it's your decision, your body. You'll probably have some doubts as you get closer, but keep your eyes on the goal. I was ready with the statistics if I had needed them. I also reminded them that they would not have a problem with me having my gall bladder or appendix removed if it were causing me problems. Well, my stomach was causing me problems! Good luck!
 LOL..." Well, my stomach was causing me problems! " - awesome way to put it.

emelar
on 4/14/11 6:24 am - TX
With most family, it's the risk of the surgery itself that scares them.  Once you've made it through that, they're happy to see you losing weight.  Give them a hug and tell them it'll be okay.
BeautyisherGODgiven
name

on 4/14/11 6:31 am
Ironically, I am going through this with my children. the best thing I can do is get them to speak to the surgeon to calm answer all of thier questions. I am having my 9 year old ask him all the questions she needs to feel comfortable. Remind them we are doing this not only to be healthy but to offer a better quality of life
Follow my progress: www.youtube.com/user/livictori                           

JT0825
on 4/14/11 6:37 am - Upland, CA
VSG on 08/23/11 with
Thank you ladies for all your replies and support.  I don't have any medical issues associated with my weight YET and maybe that is why they are having a hard time with it.  I have been overweight my whole life and this is something that I NEED to do for me know.  I guess I will just have to sit them down, tell them that I love them and am glad they love me enough to care, but this is something that I have to do for me.
Julie, Upland, CA    
Kristy R.
on 4/14/11 6:42 am - Santa Clara, CA
 "yet" is definaltey the operative word.  Because you will if you keep on the path.  You are nipping it in the bud, which is the smart thing to do.  You might explain that since you are not having any other obesity-related complications you should have a bit better time recovering.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views