Just Venting- getting bored with menu

jbskaggs
on 4/14/11 12:34 pm - holt, MO
 I am getting bored.  I know all these great recipes and have over thirty cookbooks.  But each meal I go into the kitchen and go brain dead and end up eating- the same thing.

Im not eating breads or sweets, or having anything not on my plan.  It's just I'm bored with my meals.  Going out to eat used to be a lot of fun- but not anymore becuase of the portion size.  When the family goes to a chinese restaurant they get the buffett and I get a few bites of beef and broccolli.
But I used to go to the buffett to try everything!  Now three or four bites and Im done.   I no longer have eating as entertainment.

Which is all good - but I am struggling with what used to be such a huge part of my life.  Plus being on week two of this stall thing is no fun.  And my doctor had me on very little activities because I tore my incisions and just had to sit here all day bored witless.

I cant actually tell you what I do want to eat- or drink.  Outside water and skim milk.  Actually I found that right now I would prefer drinking skim milk to eating. (been that way for two weeks now)  Most of the time I will crave a food I will take one bite - cause it tastes so different now and I end up spitting it out.  Like most juices now are really strong and bitter and too sweet at the same time.  I can drink grape juice and orange juice the rest just taste horrible.

I never thought reducing my stomach would cause mental changes like this.

Not knowing what I want to eat in Ark.
JB 

cabcab
on 4/14/11 1:03 pm
VSG on 01/06/11 with
I am right there with you.  Eating out isn't the same.  I used to go for the food as much as for the conversation and company of friends and/or family.  Well, sometimes it was even more about the food than the company!  It's like mourning a friend who isn't there anymore, only I'm the only one who misses him!

Food did taste a lot different when I was closer out from my surgery, but the taste does come back around to where it's more like it was before. 
    HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

Elaine2
on 4/14/11 1:09 pm, edited 4/14/11 1:10 pm - Atlanta, GA
I think when you can exercise more and resume other activities you won't have so much of the "witless" time to think about food. That might help. And stalls will pass.

But your correct about the major mental changes. Food thoughts, eating out or planning next meal consumed my life and I think it's the same for many. We didn't put on so much weight without allot of time spent related to food.

Years ago I noticed a big difference between my long lean brother and my fat self. We used to travel the world together and got along great except for one area......I was always excited about the foods to eat in different locations...restaurants...cuisines to try. He ate to refuel and never would spend time looking or planning for meals. (It's strange how we grew up in the home but I think my constant weight issues made a impact on him).

So anyway, I'm trying to establish the same thoughts. My first priority isn't eating.  I'm still working on it over a year out but it's getting easier.

May D.
on 4/14/11 3:30 pm, edited 4/14/11 5:26 pm
I love to cook and i love to eat, but the good thing about this surgery is that we can really eat what we want, we just can't eat as much and as far as I'm concerned that's a fair compromise.  I am not having the same problems as you as far as food tastes go, I can eat everything and it still tastes the same to me. I guess my taste buds weren't affected.  I tend not to think of food as much as I did.  I am really never hungry but I do eat to sustain myself.  My husband is the same as your brother, he eats to fill that hole in his stomach and he moves on.  I don't know what to tell you except that maybe it will all come to you one day. 

I haven't been out to eat yet, and I'm interested to see how it works out for me. 

I have some recipes on my blog that might take away the boredom a little and a lot of my feelings are there as well.  Everytime I cook something delicious or a thought about my WLS comes to mind, I blog about it, so feel free to look and take what you need.   You can also look at eggface's blog.

http://thefatgirlhasleftthebuilding.blogspot.com/

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

Take care and good luck!

cjpenn728
on 4/14/11 3:22 pm - LA
I'm almost on my 2nd week of post op and I am getting tired of my plan as well. I have not been out to eat tho. I have really wanted something flavorful and have started straining soups that have chunky stuff and eating the broth for the flavor. I've been trying to get all my protein in which is all sweet stuff and wanted something that tastes like meat. Anyways I know what you mean about going out is like this friend that wasn't there. I would always pic a meal based on the food and what mood I was in. I haven't be hungry except when I smell something good... I think it triggers a memory of that food for me and if I can just ignore it or drink some water I can get past it. Recently I have noticed how many food commercials there really are out there. It makes me sick... I still joke about going to Taco Bell and waving to the drive thru! Anyways I'm gonna stop rambling! Good luck! Eat your protein! ~ Christy

5'4~ HW 274~ SW 268~ GW 150 or less
BriarRose
on 4/14/11 3:37 pm
It will get better. I made up a list of things to eat that I could look forward to having as my diet expanded as I healed. That first taste of grilled fish, that first bite of ..... fill in the blank.

And learning to really TASTE and SAVOR one or two bites of something is a new and exciting thing for me. A couple days ago someone brought some chocolates over to the house. I wanted one. I nibbled at it, and really enjoyed it. I ate ONE !!! The box is here, but I am not compelled to eat them. I was satisfied.

But I will tell you something funny. I don't eat out much...too expensive and I eat so little, that it seems silly....but I had lunch with my teenage daughter yesterday, and she was in a mood to talk....well, anyone with teens can tell you that you want to listen, is she is talking !! She kept asking if I was done, because she knows I don't want to over eat....but I didn't want her to stop talking, so I was eating literally one black bean at a time out of my black bean and fish taco !! I didn't want to stop her from her monologue !!! It was the first time that I realized the meaning of S_L_O_W eating.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Jenn H.
on 4/14/11 5:35 pm - Portland, OR
 I think a lot of people don't realize how many mental challenges come with the wls package.  I'm seeing a pysch/therapist through my bariatric program to work through those issues as they arise. Perhaps that is something to consider? If not a therapist but talk it out with someone in your spiritual group?

Age: 32 | Ht: 6' | HW: 350 | Pre-op: 330 | SW: 311 | CW: 207 | My Blog: vsgjenn.tumblr.com

Monthly loss: 1,-24lb/2,-13lb/3,-11lb/4,-12lb/5,-11lb/6,-14lb/7,-9lb/8,-8lb/9,-7lb/10,-3lb/11,-5lb/12,-10lb/13,-3lb/14,-1

Neenco
on 4/15/11 12:32 am
I'm 3 weeks out and have been out to eat 3 times.  I find that "diners" will be our best friend for food choices.   I also like the 99 Restaurant b/c I like their french onion soup and can have the broth and cheese.  I ask them to NOT put the bread in the soup.  Restaurants will be very accomodating.  Also, our group gives us a card to carry saying we've had surgery and can only eat smaller portions so we can get a "reduced rate" at buffets, but I'm not at a point to try a buffet yet.    I'm able to eat refriend beans with cheese and pureed salsa, tuna fish, cottage cheese, yogurt, eggs, soups with added cheese.  Each program is different, but our says that if we need to puree a protein to get it in, then we can.....in the beginning.  Obviously that will change as we get further out.  What about Wendy's chili?  Oh, and I take ricotta cheese and mix in some mozz cheese and put sauce on it and heat it up....it's like lasagna with no noodles.  Keep posting and you'll find some food options.  Right now, learning to eat again is what's most important, the weight will come off, so don't put too much energy into that. 
Susan M.
on 4/15/11 5:37 am
I too am getting bored. A few different spices, salsas, herbs can help mix things up a bit. I bought a small jar of pesto and I add a half teaspoon to scrambled eggs with a touch of fresh parmesan shaved over it and a couple sauteed cherry tomatoes. Had a very Italian flavor. I also add pesto to chicken our fish. Meijers has a "Gold" brand roasted pineapple & pablano salsa. It is VERY delicious on chicken, fish OR pork. I make chicken salad with some blue cheese crumbles, red grapes & walnuts. Chicken breast pounded extremely thin and rolled with ham & swiss and then breaded and baked or fried.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 255 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views