9 months out and feeling like I'll never get to goal.

a.walker
on 4/18/11 12:49 am - Salina, KS
Hi everyone, I'm in need of a little support here. I am nearly 9 months out from surgery, and in the last 2 months, I've lost only 5 lbs. This month I lost about 4, and the month before that, only 1.4.  I still weight 226 lbs. My BMI is still 34.4. I need to lose 30 more lbs. just to get to "overweight". I feel like I will never make it to goal.

After the 1.4 lb. loss in one month, I went back to tracking all my food, and I've been doing well with both protein and carbs. I stay under 40 carbs, and I get at least 60 (usually 70-90) grams of protein. My calories range from 800 to 1200, but I rarely get over 1000 on a day I don't work out. I do eat an extra protein bar or shake on days when I do work out. I think I do better when I track my food, so I'm going to continue this, but I still didn't have a great loss this month, and it's frustrating me.

I have been jogging every other day, and increasing minutes, incline and speed on my treadmill. I have a lot more stamina, and I feel good doing it. I'm so frustrated that nothing seems to be making my scale move, though. I am right now at my bigger high school weight, and I can remember that even when I was on varsity basketball and volleyball teams and working out daily, I never lost weight. In fact, I gained weight every year. I was eating crap foods at that time, too, but I am feeling like this is as far as I'm ever going to get. I don't want to spend my whole life obese. 

I have to add that I will never regret this surgery. I weighed 335 at my highest, and I'm down over 100 lbs. from that weight. I feel better, I look better, and I am a much happier person than I was at over 300 lbs. I could not have lost this much on my own, and I don't want it to seem like I'm complaining or unhappy with the surgery. I believe this is the best thing I've ever done for myself.  I could just use some encouragement or advice because today the scale got me feeling down.
Amy  -- 5'8"

thebadest
on 4/18/11 12:53 am - Houston, TX
I know how you feel. Hang in there.

***Getting to Goal Challenge: -13.9/22.7 July 29th surgiversary**
Trina//SW:270/CW:172.7/GW:150

anninva
on 4/18/11 1:07 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
Amy -- you know i know how you feel!!!!  you're way further along time-wise, but i think it does slow down after the 1st 6 mos???  anyway, that doesn't really make you feel better, i bet.  so i'll just tell you that 95 lbs is an AMAZING amount of weight to lose and i want you to be PROUD of yourself.  when was the last time you took off 95 lbs?!?!??!?!!?  you are a rock star!!!!!  if i can just be doing as well as you are, i will be so proud!!!!!

we are here for each other and i am sending the biggest (((((((((((((hugs))))))))))) to you, my friend.  we'll keep track of each other.  those hugs are redeemable any time you need them!!!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Karen M.
on 4/18/11 1:09 am - Rockwall, TX
DS on 12/01/14
You've lost almost 100 lbs. in less than a year. That's amazing!!! I get so inspired when I read stories like yours. My goal is to lose 100 lbs by next March when my daughter gets married. Keep up the good work so you can continue to be a role model for people like me.

HW:  268             SW:  268              CW:  230.02             5'5"                   48 yrs old              

cattywompos
on 4/18/11 1:12 am
I have no great words of wisdom since you are ahead of me in the WL journey, it seems to me that you are doing everyhing right in my book and your body should respond eventually.  Is it possible for you to talk to your NUT and see if they suggest anything?  My only suggestion would be to up your cals and try to hit atleast 1000 everyday.  I say that hesitantly though because I am not one to change things up like that, but it may not hurt to try it for a week and see if your body responds...

(((hugs))) good luck!
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

(deactivated member)
on 4/18/11 1:27 am
First, you have done a great job losing the first 100lbs. Now here is how you get to goal, cut your calories down more.  Get your calories into the 600-800 range for another few months.  Do this by cutting out the protein bars and protein shakes out of your diet completely.  For the next few months, only eat dense, lean protein and low carb veggies.  This is not forever, just until goal.  Get to goal, and then we can talk about eating 1200 cals. a day, until that time stay in the lower range.  You can do this.  Think shrimp, turkey and chicken breast, scallops, fish, lean protein at every meal.  For veggies, choose broccoli and other low carb veggies.  If you need a treat, think blueberries.  I know this sounds harsh, but you can do it.  Good luck.
Cleosan52
on 4/18/11 1:54 am - Youngstown, OH
Feeling ya! I've slowed down quite a bit too. Thank you Elina! I'm thinking I need to cut out the extra calories.

HW: 324/ SW: 291/ CW: 218 Pre-Op: 33 lbs---1st Month: 24 lbs---2nd Month:14 lbs---3rd Month:11 lbs---4th Month: 8 lbs---5th Month: 5 lbs---6th Month:6 lbs---7th Month:4 lbs---8th Month: 0 (bouncing the same 5 lbs all month)---9th Month: ?
Carmelita
on 4/18/11 2:12 am - Four Corners, NM
a.walker
on 4/18/11 6:13 am - Salina, KS
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I am feeling better this afternoon. I hopped on my treadmill and sweated out the bad feelings

Ann - Thanks so much! You're doing great yourself; hopefully our funk is over soon! HUGS!

Karen M. - I have no doubt you'll lose that 100 lbs for your daughter's wedding. Thanks for the kind words.

Elina - Thanks for the advice! I really do feel like I could do 600-800 calories a day, especially if I cut out the "extra" protein I take in with bars and protein drinks. I just don't know how great of an idea that is, since I'm also doing lots of cardio. Today, I burned 600+ calories on the treadmill. When you were doing the very low calorie, were you burning lots of calories, too? I'm thinking it's probably worth a shot. I'm just really worried that I will lose muscle as well as fat, and I'm not down with that. I mostly have a protein bar after I work out, or a shake for breakfast, because I can't eat much in the morning. My other protein comes mainly in chicken, turkey, cottage cheese, and sometimes fish (will be much more fish once we start catching them!). I also eat deer meat, which is pretty dense and also lean.

Carmelita- Thanks for the positive post! I guess maybe it's the honeymoon phase ending that's getting to me. I have always had a tendency to give up when the going got tougher with weight loss. I need to change that way of thinking. The protein bars I have are Pure Protein and Detour Lower Sugar protein bars. They are the lower carb ones that I could find. Do you have any other recommendations? I prefer them to shakes, mostly for convenience. Also, I do have lots of excess skin. I can't wait to get to goal so I can think about having it surgically removed.

Anyway, thanks to all of you. I appreciate that I can come here and get great advice and loving support.
Amy  -- 5'8"

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views