sleep apnea test results

mamabear5
on 4/18/11 3:52 am

I did my sleep test friday! They said it would 10 business days before I can find out the results. Just wondering if that was about the same for everyone else?  I know they said if it were really bad they would come in with a machine..but it just seems that they could have results sooner than that.. anyway,,,,how long did everyone else wait for thier results????

wert
on 4/18/11 3:57 am - MN
I found out when I got up that morning. I met with the doctor right then and there. I got the shocking news that I not only had sleep apnea but restless legs and my sleep was disrupted an average of 70 times an hour. I had no idea of any of that. I thought the whole test would be a waste of time. Guess I was wrong.

But, to answer your question, I found out before I left the facility that morning. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

sun_shyne39
on 4/18/11 4:08 am - NJ
When I had the sleep study done last month, my tech told me that he would come in the middle of the night to put me on the Bi/C-Pap machine in case I had sleep apnea.  Needless to say the tech never put me on the machine that night.  In the morning when the study was over he said that my only issue is that a snore a little but that was it.  Within 24 hours later the sleep dr. reviewed the results and told me that everything was fine.    Ten days seems like a long time...
sun_shyne39      
Kristy R.
on 4/18/11 4:24 am - Santa Clara, CA
On April 18, 2011 at 10:57 AM Pacific Time, wert wrote:
I found out when I got up that morning. I met with the doctor right then and there. I got the shocking news that I not only had sleep apnea but restless legs and my sleep was disrupted an average of 70 times an hour. I had no idea of any of that. I thought the whole test would be a waste of time. Guess I was wrong.

But, to answer your question, I found out before I left the facility that morning. 
 You are like me, mine is 89 - 100 times an hour, depending on if I am on my back or side.  Which means, we literally stop breathing more than every minute.  Freaked me the HECK out, no wonder I never felt rested.  And I had severe, severe migraines constantly (they have FINALLY calmed down).  Due to my bone structure, they told me to prepare for WLS not to resolve my apnea.  Obviously, I wanted it for other reasons anyway - but wow.  So shocking!
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

GOING2LOSEIT2011
on 4/18/11 5:04 am
I had two studies done , the first one I found out I had restless leg  and stopped breathing 95 times
The center gave me my a copy of my test results I went home drained  .
Then went in for the second one about a week or so later , all wired up with a Bypap and slept the best ever . had so much energy and wanted to go do something ,of course nothing is open at 6am when the test was finished .
Hopeful after surgery I might not need it.  I would love the freedom of being able to go somewhere and then decide to stay over  spur of the moment  ,but won't unless I have my machine . The inconvenience is far less then the risk
I can do all things through Christ who strengthen me.Phil 4:13
  Hw 386  Sw 322 Cw 226.6
DR.Christine Chu   Fremont , Ca                 
  VSG  6/28

MN_Mama
on 4/18/11 5:38 am
I don't know why they call it a "sleep" study!   Didn't get more that 30 minutes all night.

My technician decended on me moments after finally dropping off to sleep to slap a mask on me-- in the dark, in an unfamiliar room, with no "hello,"  just a suffocating mask being clamped onto my face like an attack in the night.   It turns out I am claustrophobic...not mildly....full reptile brain, panic, clawing, and ready to run into the street in my jammies claustrophobic. 

After I turned the light on and remembered where I was and why, I had a good cry, sat on the edge of the bed practicing breathing with the mask, and finally got a nap before sunrise. 

Turns out my apnea was no milder than my claustrophobia, and they were able to get me an appointment with the early bird technician at the sleep store across the hall.   She was able to set me up with a machine, and even found a mask that didn't freak me out.  I had my new CPAP to start practicing with that day. 

It's been over half a year and I sleep so much better with my machine than before.  It isn't fun, but I am more rested, have fewer headaches, and have found out that untreated apnea causes a rise in cortisol, a chemical that contributes to the bad kind of fat that settles around your abdomen.  So my machine is probably helping me lose weight too.  I always use it, at night and for naps as well.
Hope your tests come out well. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/18/11 5:51 am
I had mine on April 1. I haven't heard anything yet. I'm not in a hurry to either. I switched doctors and the new one doesn't require a sleep test.
Kristy R.
on 4/18/11 6:36 am - Santa Clara, CA
 I don't feel as great as a lot of people said they did after I started using my CPAP.  I feel better, but not super fantastic.  Perhaps because I can't use it all night and still need 1/2 an Ambien to fall asleep.  I had one golden day where I felt wonderful, several weeks ago.  It was really random, LOL.  I wish I could feel like that all the time.  Hopefully my VSG will help with this soon :)
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

(deactivated member)
on 4/18/11 10:05 pm
 I took mine, was interrupted in the middle of the night to put on their CPAP machine to find the right "pressure" to keep my airways open, and unfortunately had to wait about 10 business days for my followup and CPAP consult.

My index was 67 (aroused 67 times per minute), I could tell a huge difference just after sleeping for 4 hours during my test while they were experimenting to find my pressure.  After finally getting the CPAP I am addicted to it, it seems like I slept 10 to 12 hours a day for two weeks after getting it.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 289 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 341 views