Medical ID Bracelet

May D.
on 4/18/11 11:39 pm
I've been thinking of getting a medical ID bracelet for VSG, but am wondering if it's really necessary?

The woman who spoke at our support group had a RnY and she wears one specifically for that reason.

if so, what would you have engraved on it?  Type of surgery and doctor's name?

Maybe I want to get one just for the sake of buying myself a new piece of jewelry!   

I would appreciate your comments and/or advice.

May

Donnie4strings
on 4/19/11 12:10 am - MI
HI May,  I have been looking into this myself.  Here is the message I got from my coordinator about this:

On the Medical Id bracelet most patients will engrave the procedure type and also "No NGT"  - this means no nasal gastric tube - any healthcare person would know these initials.  So example "Sleeve Gastrectomy" "No NGT" would be my suggestion.

I guess the fear is that if for wome reason we needed to be "tubed" if the medics don;t know about the sleeve, they could easily puncture our much smaller stomachs.

I hope to get mine ordered as soon as I decide on Dog Tags or a bracelet.  HMM, maybe a watch?  Good Luck

May D.
on 4/19/11 12:15 am, edited 4/19/11 12:16 am
Thanks so much for your info Donnie!  I'm thinking putting a doctor's name and number on it as well might also help.

I feel better knowing it's not just an excuse to buy some new jewelry!  I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon and am going to ask him about it as well, and then it's off to the jewelers!  It's better to be safe than sorry.  

OldMedic
on 4/19/11 12:16 am - Alvaton, KY
There is NO medical reason to have a Medical Alert bracelet or tag with the sleeve.

There is no medical reason why you can not have a nasal gastric tube after having a sleeve.

You have an intact stomach, not a pouch.  Your stomach is smaller than it used to be, but it is NOT fragile, it is NOT easily punctured and there is absolutely no medical procedure that will endanger it.

I have had an NGT without any problem.  I have also been endoscoped (which is a LOT more dangerous than an NGT is) three times, again with no problem at all.  A Nasal Gastric Tube is soft, an endoscope is very stiff.  Neither of them will cause any problem with a sleeve.

If you were to wear such a tag, you could easily not be given a life saving procedure some time in the future, for no real medical reason at all.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/11 1:28 am
VSG on 03/14/11 with
Agree 100% with OldMedic. You still have the LENGH (key word here) of your stomach and the only time one should need to worry about anything going into your stomach would prob be the first 6 weeks while the stomach is still healing. Hope this helps
sheekie1
on 4/19/11 2:20 am - clermont, FL
My surgeon said it would be smart to get an ID to alert ER in an emergency, I think it's a good idea....I got a dog tag necklace...........one side has my name, the other has, my procedure, no nsaids,no ngt,no aspirin, and my surgeon's name and number....I feel better having it........
hollyoosa
on 4/19/11 7:39 am
VSG on 04/07/11 with
Thanks everyone for the clarification I have been worried about this but because of my job cannot wear jewelry so I have been fretting good to know we can withstand an ng!
 How does one become a butterfly??
“You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar.?
-Hope for Flowers

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views