Self-Pay..Not Mexico!

tabby_87
on 4/20/11 6:26 am
Hey all,I was 100% sure I was going to Mexico for my surgery since Iam self-pay. Just out of curiousty is there any surgeons in the U.S. that accept Self-Pay patients. If so how much is it. I heard there is a Dr. in TX and it was 11,000. Any information would be appreciated. :)
George B.
on 4/20/11 6:33 am - Miami, FL
I slef-paid in Miami for $16,000 2 years ago.

Rates have dropped since insurance is begining to cover the sleeve. Rates in Miami are currently $13,000 to $21,000 depending on the surgeon and hospital.

This fee is for the surgery and hospital stay. It does not cover the pre-op tests and exams required before surgery.

Jac0913
on 4/20/11 6:41 am - TX
Hi there,

I was sleeved on 4/12 in Dallas by Nick Nicholson.  Although I do have insurance, I did not meet the minimum BMI requirements for approval.  So far I've been very happy with Dr. Nick and his entire staff.  I paid a total of $12,000 - includes all pre and post op testing and follow-up appointments.

I hope that helps!

Good luck to you.

Height: 5'7 / HW: 223 / CW: 180 / GW: 145
Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy | Surgery date: April 12, 2011 | Dr. Nick Nicholson

Jasonm11
on 4/20/11 6:46 am
There are multiple dr's in Texas for around 11 to 12k. I self paid iwth Dr. Stewart in Denton, TX(just north of Dallas) for just under 11k. With my travel and everything it came to about 12 probably. He has the costs posted on his website http://www.weightlosssurgeon.com/surgical-weight-loss-dallas-fort-worth/self-pay-pricing-weight-loss-surgery

I have no complaints. Thought I received great care...
MissKitten
on 4/20/11 7:15 am
Hi Jason, I was wondering what you did about a "follow-up" visit after your surgery?  I live in Louisiana, but am finding much better prices in the Dallas area--too far to go back for another visit.  What did you do?

STARTING WEIGHT:   270
CURRENT WEIGHT:    270
GOAL WEIGHT:         150
LAP BAND:                4/22/11

Jasonm11
on 4/20/11 7:41 am, edited 4/20/11 7:42 am

He only requires two follow up visits, one at 2-3 weeks and one at 3 months. I have just been driving up for it as it is about a 6 hour drive for me. I'm used to driving long distances so it isn't too bad. Past that you can just have them monitor your labs over the phone or my eventual plan is to work with my local doctors.

They have been great so far about calling me back when I have a problem. I've had to call them twice, once due to a rash from teh antibiotic and once because I forgot my actigall scrip at my 2 week appt. You can also email and they will get back with you.

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
MissKitten
on 4/20/11 7:46 am
It's about 6 hrs for me too.  It's something for me to think about.  Thanks for responding!

STARTING WEIGHT:   270
CURRENT WEIGHT:    270
GOAL WEIGHT:         150
LAP BAND:                4/22/11

Mini.me
on 4/20/11 6:50 am
I was self-pay just under 15 months ago.  I went through MedicalTourism.com, but my surgeon was Dr. Umbach in Las Vegas for just over $10K.

Revision from Sleeve to DS (with re-Sleeve) on 10/10/17. Slow and steady ...

Michele1az
on 6/22/11 10:06 am - Mesa, AZ
RNY on 08/26/13
Hi!

I am looking into Dr. Umbach, but having a hard time getting approved for a loan. Dr. Umbach's office told me that it will be $16,500 for my revision to sleeve. Does that sound right? How was yours $10K??

Any advice is appreciated?

Michele
Mini.me
on 6/22/11 2:32 pm
 I would think a revision would cost more since it complicates surgery & most likely requires more OR time.

Also, I went through Medical Tourism to get my price.  I believe they can get you a better price than working directly with the office, but I'm not sure of that.

Best of luck!

Revision from Sleeve to DS (with re-Sleeve) on 10/10/17. Slow and steady ...