Suppose I should introduce myself...?

TinyAppleDeer
on 4/22/11 9:48 pm - Vacaville, CA
Hello!

I'm 23 years this december... I've been over weight since childhood and have tried so many different diets and what not, even starving myself and purging.

recently I switched insurances and went to see my doctor to talk to her and get her caught up on my files until they arrived from my old insurance and when I was weighed... my heart dropped. 320lbs.

I've been looking at VSG this year... this isn't the first time I've looked at weight loss surgery... I was actually on the path of getting surgery with my old insurance... I had 20lbs to go before everything seemed to blow up and crash infront of me and I gained the weight back.
I'm not to sure if my new insurance would even think about covering a VSG.. so I'll more then likely will be looking to mexico to get it done.

just got to work on getting the silly little annoyance of money taken care of first... haha!

kimberly_gr
on 4/22/11 10:50 pm
Welcome. Yes, find out if your new insurance covers it. Don't wait too long to take steps. You're so young, and it would be so nice to enjoy your 20's at a normal weight.

There is financing available for WLS if your insurance doesn't cover it, and I'm sure you have a few other ideas of how to get it done. Good luck!
Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

stephany48463
on 4/22/11 10:57 pm
Glad to meet ya. Follow the insurance path and see where it takes ya, if they cover any sort of weight loss surgery you can appeal to get the VSG it may take some time and that is super frustrating at the time, I know. But not going into debt for this is worth it...you'll want that money to spend on great new clothes when you get your great new body!!
45 lbs lost pre op
first goal 199 reached 2-3-11
second goal 175 reached 6-1-11              
PBJ
on 4/22/11 11:10 pm
Welcome!  I agree if your insurance doesn't cover it..find some way to do it!  It will change your life! I wish that I had done it so much earlier.  You are so young that it would really be a life changing thing for you.  GO FOR IT!!

good luck to you.

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
Jenijeni
on 4/23/11 12:25 am
Hiya! Hope your insurance WILL cover this... Wish I had known at 23 that I could change my life!! Hang in there and keep trying!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/11 12:32 am
Hi!
If you find the that your insurance does not cover it.. and once you get the funds together, if you are still thinking Mexico- I can highly recommend Dr. Aceves.. Everything from the insanely clean hospital to his care was wonderful. The total is usually $8750, plus your airfare to San Diego. 
RedHeadRuby
on 4/23/11 2:01 am
Hi!
I'm 19 and i am getting the VSG next month.
I know that more and more insurances are covering the VSG, so it is worth checking into, and keeping up on.
Everything will all work out, you just got to keeep at it.
Michelle
TinyAppleDeer
on 4/23/11 3:36 am - Vacaville, CA
My doctor actually referred me to their weight loss surgery program at my request... but I haven't heard anything from them yet... hopefully when I do and manage to get down to Sacramento I'll ask and see if they'd consider or even do VSG.

Carmelita
on 4/23/11 4:03 am - Four Corners, NM
TinyAppleDeer
on 4/23/11 4:12 am - Vacaville, CA
my new insurance is Sutter.... old one was Kaiser.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 145 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 417 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 438 views