Anyone have surgery at mayo in az???

cherubchic85
on 4/25/11 7:25 pm
Hey all,

Was wondering if any of you had surgery at the mayo clinic in northern scottsdale, or if you know someone who did. I'm getting my second opinion abbot my leak, and I was planning on seeing Juarez, but he only works out of st Luke (and I was just spadmitted there a few days ago and ended up leaving it was so bad! I know mayo is a really nice hospital, I just wish I knew more about their surgeons! Any help would be great! Thanks!!!

Kimmes
on 4/25/11 9:33 pm
First - sending prayers for a speedy recovery to you! I am sorry you are going through this!

Second - don't know about Mayo Scottsdale - but can tell you that I am from Minnesota and the Mother of all Mayo's is located 48 miles from my home. I think you are in the very best of hands at any Mayo facility! They are a world class organization!

Again sending you a big cyber hug and my prayers are with you!

Kim

Had VSG on Jan 6, 2011 with Dr. Jaime Ramos-Kelly
Start weight 239.8/Su
rgery Day 217.6/goal:155/Current Weight 144.0  I made it -Goal in less than 10 months

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers

novascotiadawn
on 4/26/11 2:01 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hugs to you!!!!!!!!!!!

But, remember...You can have the best surgeon in the world and the leak still may not get fixed surigically. It's in a hard spot to get at. )O:...It will heal, but, it takes time and it seems like forever!!

Hugs and well wishes

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

cherubchic85
on 4/26/11 2:30 pm
Hi Donna! My iPad doesn't let me PM anyone, so do you mind if I ask you some questions here? Exactly how long was it from when they discovered the lea****il you were allowed to drink water or clear liquids? Then until fuels, mushies, ect??? The one surgeon I met with recommended doing an open procedure and using fat tissue from another part of my body to patch the leak and resuture it. Does that sound like something they tried for you?the waiting is hard, I won't lie, but the hardest part is that I'm in constant pain and I don't know why. Did you have that too? I worry about my marriage and my family if I have to wait another year to be better and work again. Bless you for surviving this and coming out so strong and for sharing your experience with people like me who desperately need to know things will get better!

novascotiadawn
on 4/26/11 3:12 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That OK!!!

I don't mind, I'm a open book.

They found my leak at 4 months out Oct/08. I went in for the first surgery and put on a tube feed bypassing the stomach. I was allowed ice chips. Until Nov 4thish/08. I went home and 2 days out, my home care nurse sent me to emergency. I was running a fever again and a lot of pain. The abscesses had formed again.

The pain most likely is a contained leak!. But, that is a good thing. It is draining out into the one cavity. Back to the hospital I went. Then was placed on TPN until I left. I was allowed to try some fluids and jello over the couple of months, then they would take it away. I think it was a little of them feeling guilty and it just made me feel a little sane..LOL

Yes, the surgeons did open me up and tried to glue/fibrin technique and pack it with the fat/omentum, it didn't work! Sorry, But, it MAY for you!

It is a hard time!!! I kid you not, and I was almost 2 hours away from home. My daughter took a lot on, but, I think it did make her a little stronger, but, nothing I had wished she had to do again. A sick Mommy wasn't fun, I am sure. It was scary for her, even though she won't admit it.

When I left just before Christmas they removed the TPN and I was allowed the purees again. I had to follow the eating plan as if I had my sleeve done all over again.

I finally got the drains out in March/09 and had a few attacks! They were BAD GERD attacks. Once they upped my pariot life started getting better!

I know this is HARD, but, STAY STRONG, it is getting better each day!!!

Hugs and loves

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 100 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views