increase protein, decrease carbs?

katier825
on 4/27/11 7:35 am
 I've been told that to try to get the scale moving you should increase protein and decrease carbs.  My question is how much?  How high should I go up to on protein?  How low on carbs?  The doctor said the body needs some carbs to function, but apparently I'm sensitive to them.  Trying to keep them under 40.  I've been in the 80is range for protein.  Is there such a thing as too much protein?

What do you do?
sianabob
on 4/27/11 8:06 am
My surgeon did say that you can have too much protien, but I dont remember how much he said that was, my guideline is 60grams.. I would call your nut or surgeon to ask specifics on the protien

diane S.
on 4/27/11 10:58 am
what you are doing is what my surgeon told me to do. up from 70 to 80. to speed my loss.  I have heard fitness buffs go for 1 g protein for every pound of weight. that might be a little much for the obese but  upping a little more won't hurt unless you have some special medical issue. during weight loss i kept my carbs more like 25 or 30 most days. I was a slow loser even though i stuck with the rules. It took a little longer but I got it all off. any carbs you get should be from nonfat dairy or veggies and limited fruit. 

I lost faster after 5 months or so while eating pretty much the same - think i was just more active - not formal exercise.  gl. just keep at it and you will get there. Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 167 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 443 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views