What Do I Need?

MrsHelm1012
on 4/30/11 8:35 pm - Washingtonville, PA
So my surgery is May 18th and I am getting stuff right now that I will need at the hospital and at home. Does anyone have any suggestions???

didim62
on 4/30/11 9:33 pm, edited 4/30/11 10:13 pm - Kensington, CT
For the hospital I would only bring a toiletries, a robe, slippers, chap stick and maybe a nightie if you feel like being in your own clothes but I was not able to use my own because of the IV's. I would also bring a book and your cell phone. I really slept most of the time so I never read till the last day I was waiting to be discharged but you might be different.

As for home your probably going to be on full liquids so you should check your surgeons food plan but my plan was broths, greek yogurt, SF popcycles,Sf pudding and yogurt, decaf tea,crystal light or any SF drink, or lemons to add to some plain water along with protein drinks.

I would not buy too much as you may not like the same things after the surgery. Not sure why but I used to drink crystal light like crazy and now it tastes way too sweet to me even watered down as well as most SF drinks do. The protein drinks may also taste different so just buy a small amount until you know what tastes good to you. Carnation SF instant breakfast was a good one for me and healthrite chocolate drink from focus. Good luck!!
Didi ..... Sleeved and living my NEW LIFE!!!!

Highest WT 381   Surgery WT (367.8)    Current WT 236
harleybella
on 4/30/11 9:37 pm
For my hospital stay (4 days) i brought
- slippers(better imo than the socks they give you!!)
-gas x strips
- chapstick
- deodorant
- eye mask
-ear plugs

At home i lived off of jello made with isopure, sobe water and crystal light. the hubby bought me a heating pad too which helped with the pain in my belly/back and Lots of pillows!!
VSG on 4/4/11!!
Starting/Surgery/Current/Goal
273/     248 /      201/      155

Susan0714
on 4/30/11 11:11 pm - Kenner, LA
I am having my surgery on the 19th of May..

For home, I have my protein drinks that I will need for pre op, and then will get more for post op before I leave for the hospital. I am on the same liquid diet for both pre op and post op.. SF popsicles, and jello, SF clear liquids and protein drinks..

For teh hosptal, chapstick, my pillow, toothpaste and brush, deodorant, laptop (for hubby), hand cream, hair tie up, PJ bottoms, slipper socks, gas x strips.

Susan
LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

dmhenry
on 4/30/11 11:47 pm, edited 4/30/11 11:48 pm - Wrightstown, NJ
I am have my surgery May 18 so I am glad you posted this because I will follow it to when it comes time to pack. I noticed everyone is bringing gas x strips. If you bring gas x strips to hospital will they let you take them while you are under their care? I did not have them on my list but I will add them. Thanks for the advice!
I have busy schedule this week doing the last of my clearances!
My doctors orders say clear liquid only the day before surgery. YAY!
Susan0714
on 4/30/11 11:57 pm - Kenner, LA
I would think the hospital would let you.. I know a lot of ppl have brought gas X strips with them in the past, and I have never heard anything about the hospital not letting you have them..

I have been told by a few patients that have had both the doctors that do surgery where I am having mine done, I have not heard anyone say that they have had gas pains after the surgery, but I think it is better to be safe then sorry..

Good Luck with everything see you on that bench pretty soon, just a little bit over two weeks for us.

Susan
LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

dmhenry
on 5/1/11 12:17 am - Wrightstown, NJ

Thank you for everyone for your  help.  I will pack it just to be safe.  This is a good site but some times I get scared of the horror stories.  I really like my doctor so that is a plus.  He removed my husbands gallbladder last year in a emergency on a Saturday.  His bedside manner was very pleasant.  So when I went to see him for me for my sleeve surgery he said my husband  I remember you I had to come in on a Saturday to remove your gallbladder.  We Thank him for relieving my husband of his gallbladder pain quickly.  Tomorrow I go for a ultrasound to see what condition of my gallbladder is.  If it is bad I am having it removed the same day as my sleeve surgery.  Doctor it will add 10 more minuets to my surgery so why not do it all at the same time.

MrsHelm1012
on 5/1/11 12:46 am - Washingtonville, PA
Great! Thanks everyone for all the ideas!! I was going to stock up on my proetin shakes, but I will wait just incase I dont like them as much afterwards.

Lisa H.
on 5/1/11 1:34 am
WLS on 05/19/11
My surgery is scheduled for May 19th :) Im having lap band with a modified VSG. This was a good thread to read. Good luck to you!

Michelle T.
on 5/1/11 2:50 am - OH

..I took the 'normal' stuff to the hospital, toiletries and such...
I stocked up ahead to time for when I came home. Think SF Popsicles! They are a definite life saver when nothing else seems to taste good. With so many flavors you won't get tired of them! I also bought a variety of protein shakes, (EAS Strawberry is on of my fav, flavored waters, (Vitamin water has a huge variety) and broths. I tried some creamed soups that were strained well as well as tomato soup.
One product that I highly recommend is Optimum Nutrition Powder Protein from GNC...I've searched and searched and have taken back more drinks and shakes than I care to admit but was excited to find one that was high in protein and great on taste! A cup of skim milk and one scoop of protein is 32 grams per serving. Not too shabby!
Oh..and don't forget tape, gauze and waterproof bandages!
Best wishes on surgery day and for a speedy recovery! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views