What was your tipping point?

diane S.
on 5/5/11 3:12 am
Just curious what event or thought was the tipping point for each of you that made you get wls? Yes we all wanted to improve our health and look better and get off the sidelines of life, but that was it that finally made you do it?

In my case it was a gradual process of watching shows like big medicine, looking at the lapsf website and figuring out that I was indeed in the MO category, going to a seminar just to pick up information, reading tons of stuff here on OH and all the great success stories, researching my surgeon up the wazzoo, and mentally preparing for the changes i would have to success. So it was a process over several months.

But some of you may have had a particular incident or feeling that made you decide. So how about it? What made you do it?  Tell your story.   Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

KrisJ77
on 5/5/11 3:26 am - TX
For me - I had gone to my yearly OB appt 2 years ago and my Dr recommended it.  I was offended.  I got my feelings hurt.  For 2 years I let that idea roll around in my head.  I had decided to do lap band and I wanted to go with a Dr that my friend at work had used.  Well - my husband is acitive military and I didn't know if tricare would cover it if I went to an off base doctor.  My first step was to get a Dr referral.  Tricare wouldn't let me do it off base since they did the procedure on base.  It's called "first right of refusal".  I was pissed because I had made my mind up to finally do it and I wanted it done quick - I thought it would take forever to go through the base- I sucked it up - I figured I've waited this long - might as well follow through!! I went to the Seminar at WIlford Hall on Lackland AFB- the surgeons told us all the procedures they did-----THANK GOD it happened that way because I am sooooo glad I did the sleeve instead of lapband!!!

sheilapinkney
on 5/5/11 3:26 am - Calgary, Canada
My OMG moment was the day I stepped on the scale and I was 302lbs.  I was completely dismayed and disgusted with myself.  I had been toying with the idea up to that point with WLS, but that day solidified it that this was something I had to do in order to save my life.

Sheila

Surgery: July 27  Surgery Weight: 245   Current Weight: 137 Total weight lost: 1112lbs
   AT GOAL!  WOOHOO!!!    

USAF Wife
on 5/5/11 3:31 am
For me, it was when my husband, who is 6 years younger, started talking about babies. Actually before then as I started researching it 2 years before I actually did it, but I got serious about it. I absolutely refused to get pregnant weighing 270lbs. The risks for my body and the baby were so astronomically high that I felt it was not only selfish, but pure stupidity for me to consider getting pregnant being that fat.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Ms Shell
on 5/5/11 3:32 am - Hawthorne, CA
I was healthy as a horse and looked FABULOUS and did anything and everything I wanted and never have or never will let weight or anyone tell me what I can and can't do.

With that said my mother died from multiple obesity related diseases and I realized that I was a ticking time bomb and while I was LIVING life if I wanted to continue to do that late into my life I needed to lose weight.  I actually liked myself heavier =( but that's another story.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

jengo1971
on 5/5/11 3:32 am
Hi Diane.  My wt problem had manifested itself into severe anxiety when around a crowd of people.  Even those I had been friends with for years.  I was utterly self conscious about myself.  I also was HOT all the time.  Unusually hot.  I would sweat like crazy even when no one else was hot (even other heavy people I would be with).  I missed my son's last baseball game because of it.  Obesity had made me a prisoner.  I would have been willing to do ANY surgery at that point.  Thank God I found OH and learned about VSG.  I was in the process of having a crapband.  WLS has truly saved my life.  I can now be the mom my five kids deserve!

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
Crabadams72
on 5/5/11 3:42 am - Silver Spring, MD
I watched my mother die from type 2 diabetes and I knew I was next (sister already has it). I was gaining more and more and for the longest I was in denial and avoided long-length mirrors and scales.

Last year I joined a organization along with 5 other young ladies. I was the "fat" one. We had to get matching outfits for a ceremony and all the shopping had to be done around me being plus sized. I ended up ordering slacks because none of the normal sized stores had my size. Going through that process was utterly embarrassing. Then seeing the photos--literally made me want to puke.

I tried my normal routine of skipping meals, half-way dieting and new diets every Monday!. In November 2010 I finally decided WLS was the only option for someone in my position. I wasn't willing to work hard and regain yet again.
(deactivated member)
on 5/5/11 3:43 am
Well, for me- I was getting worse and worse, aches, muscle spasms, having to contort to reach places on my own body, ugh. My size 24's were tight. I felt horrible, uncomfortable and trapped. 

My desk job of almost 5 years was incredibly stressful & I was a very unhappy person at home because of it. Nothing made me smile anymore. The job was originally an hour's commute away from home, so after working (sitting on my ass) and driving (sitting), I'd plop down with no energy left- mental or physical. My husband several times said- just quit, before it kills you. Well, then they decided to move to my town. Yay! New digs, close to home.. well, it didn't work well. The commute in the morning downtown was more stressful! And, I thought I'd have an office- nope, desk out in the open.. Gah! Not fun for the fat girl to be on public display, I am not a receptionist thanks. 

So, one day I find my job description on the printer - no joke! They were placing an add for the tech desk, full time. I didn't have enough work to keep another person busy past part time, and this was during a period that they were canning a person a day (literally.) They had me training a part time intern just the week before, spending hours doing it and they canned her! (New HR person, new managers hired on from other companies- total shake-up happening here..) So I left. Just left, no sticking around to train another person that was likely going to be my replacement.. 

I cried, got mad, upset, mourned my job for about a week. Then decided I needed to do something right for me, not chase the money for a while and just get myself BACK. I was so far gone I had forgotten how to smile and laugh. The change after the job was amazing, I'm happy again! My husband loves having me not be the stressed out wife like I was.

I finally had the time for me, and the savings built up and decided to go for it. I'm not planning to look for a job for a while, just work on me- and eventually start working on the house projects again that I couldn't physically do. If things hadn't happened the way they did, I would have never attempted this.. There just wasn't time I could take off to do this. I hadn't had a full week off in several years, the job was just that overwhelming. I just wouldn't have even entertained the thought at the time, and I would still be feeling more horrible every day. I also learned that I will never stay in such a toxic environment again, money is not worth that kind of life crushing stress. I'd rather work in a greenhouse for minimum wage then ever go back to that kind of life.

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/11 3:53 am - Germantown, MD
 I had been considering WLS for years. I never could make THE decision though (and I know mentally I wasn't there yet). Then in August of 2009, my first grandson was born 3 months early. When I saw that little fighter, I knew I had to do something so I would be around for him. I had my first appointment with my surgeon approximately a month after he was born and the rest, as they say, is history. I really love hearing everybody's stories. Keep them coming!

I posted about that here (with pictures of the little guy): http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4371977/What-made-you- decide-it-was-time/
MELMEL308
on 5/5/11 5:55 am - PA
On May 5, 2011 at 10:53 AM Pacific Time, Jeanette T. wrote:
 I had been considering WLS for years. I never could make THE decision though (and I know mentally I wasn't there yet). Then in August of 2009, my first grandson was born 3 months early. When I saw that little fighter, I knew I had to do something so I would be around for him. I had my first appointment with my surgeon approximately a month after he was born and the rest, as they say, is history. I really love hearing everybody's stories. Keep them coming!

I posted about that here (with pictures of the little guy): http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4371977/What-made-you- decide-it-was-time/

Jeanette,

Like your grandson, my daughter Lianna was born at 30 weeks gestation and weighed 2lbs 1.9oz.  I saw the pictures of your grandson..ADORABLE!!!

I have always been big my whole life.. Even in high school I was pushing 300lbs.  The problem with being a big girl was low self esteem and hardly any relationships, I winded up being in love with being in love with someone who was abusive and did not take care of his responsibilities...low and behold, I got pregnant, left him for good..and started to learn to live with the fact that i was going to be a wonderful single mother...In 2002, I had a full term loss in labor and had to have an emergency C section.  My son weighed 7lbs 12oz 19 in long.  He was beautiful.  Although I had some complications, the hospital dropped the ball and did not act fast enough or serious enough to get the baby out.  There was a series of events that could have and should have resulted in my son being induced early, but I guess because i didn't question, or know to question, the end result was the loss of my son..Although there were so many instances where the doctors that i fully trusted did not do their job, I have struggled with the thought that because of my own body, my placenta, my high blood pressure, there were complications and if I wasn't overweight, he would be here with me.  You know the old saying that the most crucial part of the pregnancy is the first trimester?. well, I was living proof that anything could happen even up til a full term baby.. 
Living with bereavement, and guilt, and heartache, you tend to cope and comfort yourself with bad eating habits...like i said i was always a big girl, but was always active and moving, and solid with muscle underneath the flabs. I started to come out of my shell, met my current fiance, and In 2005, I finally started to lose weight again.. I lost 50lbs but slowly started to gain it back and then some through the years...
In 2009, I became pregnant with my daughter.  Because of my past, I was extremely high risk and was seeing my doctor (new high risk doctor and hospital) twice a month.  I did everything right, i stopped smoking, started eating healthy, took all meds, and whatever hoops the doctor had me do, i did it.  I was having ultrasounds every 4 weeks.  I got to my 30 week ultra sound, and when i heard the doctor say to me "Let's go into my office to talk." i knew something was wrong. My placenta was starting to die too early and my daughter stopped getting the nutrition she was supposed to get and was now measuring only 27weeks.  It was decided that i would be monitored 24/7 in the hospital and that my daughter was most likely going to be delivered.  There were moments where i was having flashbacks..it was happening again, and I was so scared.  and of course because of my body, my high blood pressure, MY problems, here I was again in getting ready to go through losing a child AGAIN!....THANKFULLY! my daughter was delivered by c section and was perfect!  Even though she spent 45 days in the NICU, she was healthy, happy, and a miracle.

After spending 45 days in the NICU, She finally came home @3lbs 15oz. She truly is my Miracle baby, and She is the number one reason I am doing this surgery. There is a reason why I have gone through all of this and I haven't even hit 30 yet. I am supposed to be here to take care of this beautiful little girl. 
 I owe it to her to be healthy.  She stayed so strong for me. She knows I need her just as much as she needs me and with the help of her Angel Brother in Heaven, she has been my sunshine,  my guidance.. I am so in love with her.  She will be 15months old this month, and weighs 17lbs.  She's a little peanut, but her personality is huge!

~Melanie~
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a beautiful butterfly"                                       
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views