working out vs. not to control skin sag....

notoriousgrannyD
on 5/11/11 5:02 am
VSG on 10/16/12
I am fairly new to the site and was wondering what the concensus was on how working out affectis the skin.  Does it help with less sagginess or does all the bouncing (and flapping) around make it stretch it out more?  That sounded rude but I was not sure how to put that across......  Also does anyone where special undergarments to help keep that under control.  I haven't been sleeved yet and love working out but I have seen videos of people who have lost lots of weight and were jogging, etc and OUCH does that look painful!

Anyone with good skin "rebound" have any tips?

NGD 
thisbe777
on 5/11/11 5:10 am
how much your skin rebounds after weight loss depends on a lot of factors: genetics, how much you have to lose, how long you were overweight, etc....   if you have stretch marks, it means the underlying tissues are damaged and nothing will bring them back to a normal appearance except surgery...

exercise does not do anything for your skin except build up the muscles underneath and give the skin something more substantial and shapely to drape itself over....

i was obese for several decades and the rest of the damage was done by pregnancy and breastfeeding and gravity...  i just had my tummy tuck, and there will be a boob job and arm lift in my future.... 

good luck in your journey and may your sags be few! 

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

Mandyplus2 ..
on 5/11/11 5:18 am - GA
jeris said it perfectly!
 5'8" - 40 years old

Maryatt50
on 5/11/11 6:01 am
 Jeris did say it perfectly - I am considering a TT - was wondering how bad it was???? 
thisbe777
on 5/11/11 6:37 am
i won't sugarcoat it -- it was no picnic, had drains in for 3 weeks, and there was pain....   i am still recovering (done on 3/22), have been dealing with a seroma (fluid buildup in the abdominal wall) and i still have to take an occasional muscle relaxer when i overdo it...  but it looks awesome... and i can feel my abs under the skin, they are rock hard -- i swear the doc filled me up with concrete!!  and i have a concave belly, something i've never had in my entire life!!

can't wait until i can get the rest of me done.... 

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

Judith K.
on 5/11/11 6:58 am
VSG on 05/15/10 with
Jeri is right on about the skin.  I do have to say that a good neck cream seems to be helping me tremendously.  When people find out I've lost 100# the first thing they seem to look at is my neck and then comment that I don't look like I was ever fat.

I had a different experience w/ the abdominoplasty.  Only one drain and for only one week.  I am 10 weeks post op.

The abs under the skin are great, she's right.  When I asked the PS if I could go back to the gym he said I could but I didn't need to do sit-ups 'cause he did them for me.  Ha, ha.  I do them anyway 'cause I want to keep this nice flat tummy.

HW -- 255.8#;  WW/pre-op lost 22.6#; CW -- 152.2#; GW 140#; 103.6# GONE FOREVER!

Evie_1
on 5/11/11 7:30 am
Hey, don't leave us hanging, so to speak.  What is the name of the neck cream??
LOL

FreeJulie
on 5/11/11 7:36 am - WA
Yeah, what Evie said! What's the name of the cream? :)
Julie, 5' 3", age 42. Starting weight: 263, Surgery weight: 255
Blogging at www.freejulie.blogspot.com        
Judith K.
on 5/11/11 7:52 am
VSG on 05/15/10 with
Arbonne Age Defying RE9 Advanced Neck Cream

I got it @ the OH conference in Houston but I think you could just google it and get it from Amazon or Nextag.

Smells yummy, too.  A little pricey but aren't we worth it?
HW -- 255.8#;  WW/pre-op lost 22.6#; CW -- 152.2#; GW 140#; 103.6# GONE FOREVER!

MILLERSDAUGHTER
on 5/11/11 8:02 am - Lewisport, KY
VSG on 04/07/11 with

The Arbonne products are great.  They also have a shampoo and a scalp treatment that may help with hairloss.  I know the shampoo has made a huge difference in my hair and it's thickness since I 've been using it.  I don't know for sure about the hair loss because I'm only 5 weeks post op but so far, no hair loss.

Arbonne products are purchased through independent consultants.  If you go on the website, one will be "assigned" to you. 

I order all the time.  If you want to try some of their products, go peruse the website www.arbonne.com and then pm me.  I'll hook you up!

Never, never, never give up!
...though she be but little, she is FIERCE...
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views