Just approved...I think I will be having a panic attack!

sandy18
on 5/12/11 4:43 am - FL
Ok, I know that this has been a common thread around here but I just needed you to tell me that it will be ok and that we can do this!

I was just approved by my husband's insurance for the sleeve.  He is a couple of day's behind me and should get his approval next week.  My surgery date is June 9, but I am planning on giving that date to DH for his surgery and I will do mine about 3 to 4 weeks after.

We have 20 mo old twins and one of us needs to be healthy enough to lift them at all times.  DH is not scared at all of surgery, but is insisting that he does it first because if something were to happen he wants to know that the babies will be safe with me.  Whaaaat???!!!

Soooo, after all this planning it is actually happening and I think I might have a panic attack the day before and during surgery.  I am not afraid of the pain, as I have had more painful surgeries before, but for some reason I am terrified of dying or having complications that go undetected.

How did you settle your fears?  I know that the rate of complications is less than 1% but what if it is me?

I know I sound crazy but any support from you would mean the world to me.

thanks for listening!
(deactivated member)
on 5/12/11 5:01 am
I had the same feeling on Monday when I got the call from my surgeon's nurse to say my date was June 13th. I could not eat lunch and was very gittery. I just got online and re-read the articles and medical journals that made be decide to get this surgery. Congrats!
kalimamasmom
on 5/12/11 5:13 am

I was right there with you!
I told the hospital during the pre-op registration that I would absolutely have a panic attack as soon as I got to the hospital!
She had me call my family doc who prescribed a xanax the morning of.  And that helped.  Once I got to the hospital, I told them that undoubtedly I will have a panic attack, and so they brought me in some happy meds.
And then, I woke up and all was fine.
If you are sure it will happen to you, talk to the surgeon, or the hospital pre-op or whoever, but let them know! 
Best wishes!
Jen

sandy18
on 5/12/11 5:36 am - FL
 Thank you so much! I will talk to the surgeon about happy meds :)
SweetiePea
on 5/12/11 5:50 am - IA
I just got my surgery date today set for May23rd. Was terrified as tears started to form because I was happy its finally going to happen. To my surprise, faster than I thought.

Good luck to you and your husband. Take care of those twins. They look precious. :-)

Height - 4'10"

tee4change
on 5/12/11 6:46 am - NY
thanks for posting. as a person that gets panic attacks,but has been managing them without meds for years,I think I too will need a lil somethin prior to hopital arrival. I had a tiny one when i called for the first consult, so I know its gonna happen again. Its good to know i'm not alone in this department.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 399 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views