For Those Suffering From Reflux...

mysticblue
on 5/21/11 11:25 am
...Cucumbers are your friend.

Since my surgery, I have had horrible reflux at night causing me to choke on stomach acid. It was only about three weeks ago that I things finally changed. Each change I have had since surgery has been an overnight change - nothing gradual. One day it is bad and the next it is good.

What I have learned about reflux, for those who suffer as I do, is that it is the dense proteins that cause it the worst at night. So I have been eating my biggest meal at lunch with dense protein (which is healthier anyway) and then I have a light dinner. Here is the important part - I have learned that if I eat a cucumber after dinner, as the last thing I eat, my acid reflux mellows and I am able to sleep through the night. Weird, eh? But I figured since it works for me, I would share in case it can give others relief. I now eat about a half a cucumber after dinner (with a bit of salt or with ranch dressing) as a regular routine. I have not had a bad night in over three weeks. Before that, I could not go more than one night without having acid travel into my mouth as soon as I fell asleep.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

Lori H.

FaithForward
on 5/21/11 11:29 am - Houston, TX
I will try it. I can't stand the reflux.
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded. ~2 Chronicles 15:7 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers 
5'6" ~ Loving a size 4 ~
Plastics Apr 17th, 2012 with Dr. Sauceda ~ BL, BA, LBL w/ flap aug & mini thigh lift!

mysticblue
on 5/21/11 11:33 am
I forgot to mention that I eat the cucumber without the peal. I don't know if it makes a difference, but thought I should be clear. I hope it works for you. The reflux is the worst thing I have ever experienced, especially when I breathe it in before waking and wake choking. Such fun!

Lori H.
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/11 1:02 pm
Is the head of your bed elevated?  Reflux when supine requires the head of your bed to be elevated 2-4".  You cannot achieve this with pillows by the way.  Put some blocks under the legs at the head of the bed.  You won't believe the difference.. My pulmonologist reccommended this to me after a bout of reflux causing pneumonia, I was hospitalized for over a week.  The reflux went into my lungs while I was sleeping...
mysticblue
on 5/22/11 12:27 am
That is one of my fears with the reflux - that I will aspirate it into my lungs. Hopefully, things are getting better now and I will see the reflux resolve.

Otherwise, I have tried everything they say to try for reflux. The head of my bed is elevated on 6" blocks and I take two prescription meds three times a day. I have read studies about this after surgery and most of the time it resolves within the first year. I am still hopeful.

Lori H.
Mary R.
on 5/21/11 1:09 pm - OH
I was put on prilosec for the first 3 months.  I refilled my last RX and didnt go pick it up until a week later.  I had really bad reflux after everything I ate.  Im back on it again and havent had any problems.  Im concerned this is going to be an ongoing thing now because I didnt have any problems with it before surgery.  I suppose if I do ill try the cucumbers =)
"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time" 
"Get busy living, or get busy dying" 

mysticblue
on 5/22/11 12:30 am
I read some studies after surgery when I first started having reflux. There aren't a lot of them out there because the surgery is so new, but most said that the reflux typically resolves. My surgeon puts all patients on a PPI after surgery to help heal the stomach. So staying on prilosec would probably be best for you. I know that mine is an extreme case, but it does seem to be improving.

Lori H.
Sweetitalian1
on 5/22/11 12:22 am - CA
I had bad reflux before sx and now its even worse.

shunt1960
on 5/23/11 1:00 am
VSG on 04/28/10 with
I too had reflux before surgery and it has become even worse since surgery especially in the last few weeks.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 408 views