It's just not worth it

AniO
on 5/23/11 12:03 pm
My son was in and out of the hospital the weekend before last and spent the last week in the hospital. He was finally discharged today. As if seeing your 5 yr old cutie-pie suffering isn't enough, everyday was a juggling act of who stays to sit with him, who sleeps at the hospital with him. Who's willing to keep the 7 yr old overnight and take her to school and who will keep the 3 yr old overnight and watch him all day (hubby was only able to take 1 day off of work, leaves super early in the morning AND is a full-time student two months away from his Bachelor's). So today I felt like I had the right to indulge. I wanted something delicious, gooey, chocolaty. Went to the supermarket and just couldn't decide on anything. Nothing seemed worth it.  There was nothing that I could think of eating that I could justify filling my sleeve up with.  Now, I can't guarantee I'll feel that way tomorrow, the day after or next month. But I felt proud that I didn't turn straight to food for comfort. 

BigCaliSmile
on 5/23/11 12:06 pm - La Puente, CA
  Wow is that inspiring!! You are quite a remarkable Mom, Wife and fellow Sleever.
Jan in Cali,  5ft  Sw 224                       
sleeve genie
on 5/23/11 12:10 pm - Alhambra, CA
Oh wow,  sounds like you have a very stressful week,  I hope your baby is all better.  And congratulations on not turning to food,  very impressive   :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

missuscat
on 5/23/11 12:11 pm
Sorry about all the stress in your life right now....but... a huge congratulations for being able to walk away from the indulgences - my mantra when I quit smoking 15 years ago was - having a cigarette will not change a thing - I'm planning to use it when I start to feel the need for food indulgences - try it, maybe it'll work for you too.  All the best for you and your family!!  Keep up the good decisions!!
mimikay
on 5/23/11 12:37 pm
Hope your son is better. That's an awesome NSV to have while going through all that stress! Way to Go!
  Kay       HW 219/SW 212/CW 134              
svelteNgorgeous
on 5/23/11 12:49 pm
Congratulations!!! You got the POWER! Sorry to hear about your boy's suffering. Praying for his swift and complete recovery.
(deactivated member)
on 5/23/11 1:00 pm
Your head is on straight and you have seen the light in the tunnel!  You have to keep your mind in the right place in order to accomplish this.  I wanted this surgery so bad that I never cheated in the preop diet.  I just wanted so bad for it to work that it seemed like if I cheated I only would be cheating myself.  Good for you !
Crazycatlady1953
on 5/23/11 2:43 pm - OR
Good Grief!  I am so sorry for all your troubles.  It would be all too easy to turn to food for comfort.  Lord knows we all have from time to time.  I am very proud of you for not falling into that ugly trap.  You are on a new course.  Stay true to it.  All will work out for you.  Just take one day at a time.  Good Luck to you.
Crazycatlady1053         
Daviegrandma
on 5/24/11 1:34 am - Davie, FL
My prayers are with you and your family..Be very proud of yourself for the huge change in your life. You are a super women, mother, and wife.

AniO
on 5/24/11 10:25 am
Thanks for the encouragement, well wishes and prayers. Life since the sleeve has been a roller coaster. Eight weeks after my surgery, my father wa**** and killed by a car. As if losing him wasn't enough, my mom stayed in Puerto Rico to take care of her mom. I didn't mind her being there while my father was around. It's not a safe place these days, but even worse for a single female. My son had his first surgery for his condition in January and Grandma had a mild heart attack. Then grandma broke her hip in March, I had my gallbladder out in April and 5 days later Grandma (better known to us as Abuelita) passed away. Mom is now free to sell her house in Puerto Rico and come move closer to us. Then my son got sick again on the 13th of this month leading to his hospitalization. But this time, they found the reason for his problem (a polyp in his intestine kept causing intussusceptions), removed it and he should be OK from here on out.

When my dad passed away, it became apparent to me that this surgery was just a tool but didn't fix my head issues with food. I thank God I had the surgery when I did. I'm sure if I hadn't had the surgery, I would've gained 63 pounds instead of losing them. I did turn to food for comfort after my dad died. Thankfully, I couldn't each much. But with each trial that came along, I knew I had to find help. For me it came in a book called "Made to Crave." I recently started attending a bible study based on the book.

I didn't write all of this for anyone to feel sorry for me. I'm getting by and staying strong in the Lord. But we still need to get our heads fixed, hopefully before surgery, but if that didn't happen, it's not too late. For me it's a faith-based solution to go along with my sleeve. Not everyone is open to that, but if you need something, find a support group, get a therapist. For me, I was looking for comfort from food that only the Lord can give me. When I pray a temptation away, my reward is guilt-free. This is what's helping me and I hope that someone finds encouragement in knowing that.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views