protein and vitamins..can't do either

RigbyMom
on 5/31/11 1:50 am - AL
I am day 15 post op.  I am having a hard time with both my protein and my vitamins.  Every time I try to take my Celebrate vitamins, I throw them up!  I have even tried spacing them out and not taking them all at one time.  Any suggestions?

Also, I become very nauseated by both my protein shakes and my protein shots.  I can only take a couple of sips of either one(watering down the protein shots with diet grape juice) before I feel the urge to vomit. 

I just started on pureed food today.  I know that I am not getting anywhere near the protein that I need.  Anyone else out there having this problem?  Any advice?

Dawnie 88
on 5/31/11 1:57 am
I did not get in my protein right away either.  I still have problems swallowing pills.  It's a bit better now (at over a year postop), but I remember getting ill after trying to swallow pills that were a little too large.  My only suggestion is to check w/your surgeon and see if they have chewables you can take, that is what I had to do.  I use gummy vitamins and chewables whenever possible.

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/11 2:00 am
You can get unflavored (Unjury) protein powder to add to your pureed foods even your water or coffee.  It helps with protein requirements.  Just know that it is hard to get it all in at the beginning.  I think everyone of us has posted about that in our first few weeks post op.  It will get better. Sometimes when you are throwing up it is because you are taking down too much in each sip or swallow and other times it is because you have done it too fast.  Try taking smaller sips and taking more time between them..if it continues you might want to call your DR.
CJCC55
on 5/31/11 2:15 am - Cleveland, TN
I'm sorry you are having trouble using these things. I can truly empathize with you, as I faced the same issues early on.

I never did use any protein shakes after the third day post op. I was getting sick on them, and could never force myself to use them again.
I got all my protein from food, and from nutritional yeast flakes. There are some surgeons who want you to get almost all your protein from food rather than use shakes anyway. I think is was several weeks before I was able to consistently get the 60 gm daily goal in, but I did what I needed to do.
My number one goal was to stay hydrated. number 2 goal was to get in protein before carbs and fats, number three goal was to find a vitamin I could tolerate until I could take my usual mvi again. I chose to use some of the gummy vitamins for a temporary fix until I was able to use the womans complete procap that I use. I'm thinking of trying the new petite size vitamin capsules that have just come out from centrum I think. I found that these capsules were easier on my stomach than any others I had tried. Things have improved drastically over time. Hang in there as you get through this stage.
God bless.

Wishing you all the best, Carol       
count your blessings!!!!   At goal weight.   I am 5 ft 3.    

RigbyMom
on 5/31/11 2:24 am - AL
Thank you guys!  It is all such a learning process.  EVERYTHING is different now!   I feel like I did when my daughter was just born we were trying to figure out formulas and food!  LOL  Guess it is like my tummy is newborn!

MotivatedMomma
on 5/31/11 9:44 am, edited 5/31/11 9:45 am
DS on 10/20/14
 Hi, I just posted on another topic that I too have trouble with shakes. I've tried nearly every one, different flavors, etc.  I think it's mostly the smell.  That...and the taste lmao!!!!  I tried carnation instant breakfast, and that sure was nice, but it's really not that great nutritionally considering the relatively small amount of protein in it.

Anyway, at my 1 week post op appt, my surgeon told me that I must do whatever it takes to get the protein in.  I bought some unflavored powder, but even that is not tasteless or odorless.  So i have finally come up with something that works for me, maybe this will help you too?

8oz greek yogurt (I use chobiani - 23grams protein)
1/2 c  unsweetened almond milk 
1 T Splenda with added Fiber
4 strawberries
1/2 scoop gnc vanilla protein powder (10 g protein)
4 ice cubes
I blend it all, and it's very runny so to me it's easier to drink.  I have used a full scoop of protein in it, but man, I just can't stand that taste.  So I use 1/2 scoop and although I know it's there, it's not nearly as noticeable.  The almond milk is awesome - hardly any carbs or calories and loaded with vitamins.  Add more milk if it needs to be thinner.  Sometimes the thinner it is, the easier it goes down.

I have 2 of these shakes a day, which is 66 grams protein from the yogurt and powder alone.  Then I have some pureed cottage cheese, which gives me at least 15 grams more.  So you see, as soon as you find something that works for you, you will be able to get your numbers up.  I was soooo stressed over the protein - i know how worried I was when I wasn't getting it in.  I hope maybe this will help you!

As far as viatmins, I use centrum chewables right now.  I know they aren't the best but my NUT recommended them for newbies!  I use Citracal Gummie calcium 2 per day, and B Complex drops.  I have some fiber gummies but haven't used them because I haven't needed to yet.  

Laproscopic VSG May 2011

SW 325 LW 225

Revision to open DS 10/20/14 with Dr. Lutryzkowski

SW 269  GW 175, Dream weight 140

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views