Newbie To The Forum =)

JessieRae
on 6/12/11 4:25 am, edited 6/12/11 4:27 am - NY
Hey All,

I'm Jessica, a 21 year old single mother from The Forgotten Island(Staten Island, NY). Going to try to break my story down as simple as possible..

I was all set to have RNY surgery at NYU by Dr. Christine Ren on June 20. I was already 1 week through my 2 week pre-op liquid diet, when I began having serious second thoughts. After more discussion with family, even further research, and more thought, I have decided to get sleeved instead. Since my surgeon doesn't have much of a track record with this surgery, I will be calling Dr. Alfons Pomp at NY Presbyterian Hospital-Cornell Weill tomorrow to schedule a consultation. 

Since I have already had all of my pre-op tests, psych evaluation, letter of medical necessity from PCP, and insurance approval, I am hoping I do not have to re-do everything over again. 

Has anyone else had any similar experience and can offer an insight? Share the same surgeon or hospital?

Any advice, friendship or support would be much appreciated =)

Thank you all!
(deactivated member)
on 6/12/11 4:31 am - NY
 I'm having (hopefully) my VSG done with Dr. Ren.  I didnt realize you were switching surgeons!  I hope it will all work out for you in the end.  Let me know how it goes!
JessieRae
on 6/12/11 6:56 am - NY
I definitely will =)

I'm just wondering why you want Christine Ren to do your surgery so bad? I, personally, would have opted for Marina Kurian(Who is also at NYU), if I knew that the surgeon I have my consultation with, would be MY surgeon from then on. It is obviosuly your choice in who you want to operate on you. You should research your surgeon as much as possible. Here is two articles I found on Christine Ren...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/horror_stories_follow_lap _band_surgery_JPHaUeuhbIANvH6orXEfeP

http://weightlosingideas.com/tag/christine-ren-lawsuit/

I will let you know what happens with Dr. Alfons Pomp =)
IrishColleen
on 6/12/11 4:33 am - Owosso, MI
 Welcome to the VSG forum Jessica,

Congrats on your decision!  I have seen a few people on here that had a similar story and from what I remember hearing most insurance companies don't care which procedure you have done after you've made it through the hoops!  That is if they cover the sleeve for your BMI etc.  

I'll be praying for everything to go smoothly for you in the next few days as you switch docs and procedures.

Colleen

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity and fear but a spirit of power and love and self discipline."  2 Tim. 1:7     So with HIS power, love and self-discipline - I WILL DO THIS!
HW:250 SW: 232 CW: 164  GW: 150 
JessieRae
on 6/12/11 6:58 am - NY
Thank you very much Colleen =)

I hope it goes just as smoothly as it did for the first approval =)
bhelton33
on 6/12/11 4:56 am - FL
 Some doctor wont you to see their nutrionist and their phych. I switched doctors in Feb. I am getting sleeved June the 30th. But every doctor is different so you  need to have a consutation with the other doctor that should be free. Then they will tell you what they require. I personally sent all my reports to my new doctor before i even seen him and wrote a note of what happen.. Then the nurse called me with the appointment ..Make sure you have your name and phone number on there so they know who to call. if you send or fax it to them. Good luck

JessieRae
on 6/12/11 7:03 am - NY
Yaay! Congrats! You're almost there!!
When switching doctors, did you have to fax the former surgeon's office a form for medical record release? I don't know the first step to take when switching doctors. I will ask when I call Dr. Pomp's office on tomorrow as well.
Thank you =)
tawana2q
on 6/12/11 5:13 am - NY
 I had Dr. Ren also and I did everything I needed to do however my decision was the band because I felt the wholee bypass was to drastic and they never offered the sleeve at NYU however my insurance changed about 3 weeks before completing last step which was the stress test and she didnt take insurance so I had to find another location I found another location which was NY hospital of queens and my surgeon not only offered the sleeve he also explained the whole procedure and I was shocked that this was even an procedure I was a bit upset that Dr. Ren didnt even mention the in between method even if she didnt do the procedure it would have given me something to look into.  I am so happy my insurance changed because I wouldnt have know wbout the sleeve if it hadnt and I just recently found out that NYU started to do the sleeves but dint have much experience with doing so.  I know they have to start new fresh on someone but Im not gonna be a test dummie.  I say go for experience and the sleeve will blow your mind.
JessieRae
on 6/12/11 7:16 am - NY

I had a similar experience with Dr. Ren even a couple months ago when teh sleeve was offered. However, she was pushing the band. She made it seem as though the band or RNY were my only choices. I didnt learn more about the sleeve until last week when I began researching it heavily and I am VERY disappointed to stay the least that she didn't even mention this option. You would think that since my BMI is 59.7, basically 60. At that point, many surgeons prefer you to have the sleeve before going onto the DS or RNY...she didn't even mention this. I am very happy with my decision to take my body elsewhere =)

la1126
on 6/12/11 6:48 am - NJ
Hi!

I am new too and from Jersey.  I was sleeved 16 days ago.  I am glad I didn't do any other wls option, but that is just me!
Good luck with everything and I hope you get your approval soon!!!

Lauren

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views