Protein did you know???

momokc
on 6/14/11 9:37 am
that Protein does not stay in your system or can not build up in your system like caffeine for instance?  
I had some blood work done for my WLS doctor a couple of weeks ago only to find out that my protein lvl is below the normal low!  I have been very fatigued, my legs have been feeling weak most days and as soon as I get home I am ready to go to BED and SLEEP!  My count was 14.  19 is suppose to be the lowest for a woman!!  I am actually malnutritioned!  I have stopped enjoying the taste of food so I just don't eat until I get real hungry.  When I talked to the dietician she said I have to up my protein!  Up my protein more than 60 grams a day I said...Yes, she said.  I said well what am I suppose to do?  The dietician told me to start back on the protein drinks and drink two a day since I have not been doing that, then eat what I have been eating and count the protein grams every day until I come in to see her in two weeks!  My first thought was If I can't eat 60 grams how in the world am I going to eat more than 60 grams a day?  I think the awareness is what is important as I have not had any trouble drinking the meal replacements nor getting my 60+ grams of protein for the past two days since I was told.  
Bottom line, we have discussed the fatigue and the weak feelings in this group before so if you are still plagued with these things, up your protein!  I am feeling better not up to top lvl yet, however I do feel better tonight than I have in a long time.
Has anyone else had your doctor tell you that your protein lvl is low?  
That is all from Granny tonight,
Have a great evening and EAT YOUR PROTEIN!  
GRANNY

njmom5870
on 6/14/11 9:50 am
Yes I did know that and also the body can't process more than 30 grams of protein so people who double up their scoops are wasting their money.  Doctor told me never to go below 70 and I don't. 

Glad you are feeling better
    Lap Band Surgery 7/29/09......Removal after full slip 10/29/09
    Sleeve surgery...life really began....1/3/11

momokc
on 6/14/11 10:03 am
 A good friend of mine told me about the 30 g per meal maximum before I even thought about WLS. 

Thanks for mentioning that for the benefit of anyone reading this post, 
GRANNY

PS:  I just realized this evening that I am within 10 lbs of my mid point goal weight! That sounds much better than 57 more pounds to go!! YES!!

foodlover
on 6/14/11 10:21 am
I hope you start to feel better...
Chimere
on 6/14/11 11:19 am

Have any of you guys watched any of Kellawanda's utube vids?  She went to school to get a degree in Nutrition.  The video is kellawanda 6months products i use now and food I eat.  Its very informative :) She talks about the protein intake and percentages. 

johnbertak
on 6/14/11 12:53 pm - MD
Not wanting to start a "thing" here, but I took the advice of a friend who lost 140 lbs. after VSG and a major part of his regimen was the "double scoop" protein (Unjury's what I use) in 8 oz. of l/f milk EVERY single day.  I decided, in consultation with my dietitian, that it was worth a try - it has worked exceedingly well for me - I'm down 142 lbs. at 6.5 mos. post-op.  The double-scoop shake gave me the extra "protein boost" I needed in the a.m. to get my day started. 
Now, I exercise a lot (and some people say you don't need to do that either, but I don't really believe them, b/c it dosen't make any sense to me) and I record every bite I eat.  I average 1100-1400 calories per day and sort-of limit carb intake, but not religiously; I  just try to eat a well-balanced diet w/ fruits, veggies, protein and lots of 0-cal liquids.  And I work the program every single day.
My dietition and I remain convinced that the double shakes are extremely helpful; and I've seen no science to suggest otherwise.  (BTW - I stopped doing double shakes when I hit 100 lbs. of weight loss, but still begin my day with a single scoop shake EVERY SINGLE DAY.)
Pop-Pop (pix on profile)

momokc
on 6/15/11 12:10 pm
 Thanks to everyone for all of your posts.  It has really given me something to think about. After three days of eating/drinking 70 g each day, I feel much better this evening.  I think I will try that double scoop that was mentioned and see if it starts me losing again! I know I can't do the milk with it as that is what made me so deathly nauseated at the beginning of my fourth week.  

Thanks again, I know I can always count on this group to help me, 
Granny

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views