Thinking about VSG..Anyone want to give advice?

Linda78801
on 6/22/11 10:54 pm
VSG on 02/03/12
 Hello there, my name is Linda Rodriguez, I am seriously thinking hard about VSG instead of lapband, but would like some input from some you about this surgery...like would you do it again, why did you choose this surgery...do you have to take alot of vitamins afterwards...how extensive is the aftercare...any advice would highly be appreciated.  oh and definitely one last one I almost forgot to mention, what is the diet before and after surgery?
Valsdetermined2lose
on 6/22/11 11:56 pm

First off , congrats for lookinginto having WLS. Choosing the type of surgery really depends on you and what you want. I had VSG becasue after doing enough research on RNY and Band , they did not add up to whet i wanted. I also understood that having WLS was not a magic cure for obesity but it is a tool that gives you the opportunity to start living over with good eating habits. As far as the vitamins, people who have VSG dont have malabsorbing like RNY people do but you must stll take vitamins and i'm not just saying that for peple with WLS but i feel eveyone should anyway. The after care after surgery is all tril and error and if your referring to any pain, Yup ! after surgery i experienced alot of pain but then again everyone's different, didnt last for long though.
The diet before and after surgery is up to your surgeon , my surgeon only requires a 3 day post diet before surgery but some has had up to 3 weeks or more pre op. After surgery diet , your doctor will give you a great plan to stick to. My doctor gave me a special 8 week diet to follow before i started on regular foods. You gradually increase from liquids to solids depending on your plan.
I would research on the different options out there for you and which ever one you feel good about, go for it!
Hope this helps, and good luck to you!

HW-267-SW-253-CW-167 I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!!

The_Chungs
on 6/22/11 11:58 pm
I'm in the information gathering stage myself and am hoping to have VSG next month (God-willing).  My advice to you is read, read, read, and then read some more.   Start by going back through the pages of this board and click on any thread topic that seems interesting to you. 

Here are a couple of  links to help you out (copy and paste into your browser):

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4416605/gtgt-VSG-Frequently-Asked-Questions-For-New-Members-ltlt/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4402165/How-did-you-decide/#36399095

Good luck!

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -  Confucius  
Height:  5'10  HW:  400  SW:  374.6  GW:  160    

George B.
on 6/23/11 12:39 am - Miami, FL
My advice would be to get the VSG. You're only regret will be to have not had the surgery sooner.

My insurance pays for the RYN and Lap Band but after researching the options I knew I wanted the sleeve and self-paid for it. The sleeve has completely changed my life. I lost 100% of my excess weight and have maintained without a lot of effort. I chose the sleeve because I didn't want my organs re-routed, did not want malabsorption, did not want iron deficiency issues. The sleeve is a long term solution to my weight problem.

Vitamins- I take 1 multivitamin and 1 B-12 sublingual daily. I also take 2 Fiber Gummies every other day to add fiber and keep me regular. I've had blood tests every 3 months since surgery and they have all been excellent with no deficiencies. Some people also take calcium but my levels have been fine, likely because I consume a lot of dairy.

Pre-op Diet - My surgeon did not have a pre-op diet requirement. I ate whatever I wanted till 12 hours prior to surgery. You'll find that the pre-op diet varies among surgeons and is often an insurance requirement. I self-paid for the VSG and was operated on 23 days after the initial consultation with the surgeon.

Post-op Diet - 2 weeks of liquids followed by 2 weeks of pureed foods then slowly introduce regular foods back eating protein first and limiting carbs. Post-op I was not hungry at all. The sleeve removes 70% of the hormone responsible for hunger (ghrelin). I was doing so well on the liquid dies that I extended it to 3 weeks liquids and 3 weeks pureed.

Once these phase are complete you follow the program prescribed by your doctor.

Following is the program my doctor gave me.
1. Eat 70-100 grams of protein per day
2. Limit carbs to less than 40 grams per day
3. Consume 600-800 calories per day when losing weight 1,200 calories when maintaining
4. Minimum of 64 oz. of liquids daily
5. Track what you eat for accountability (I use myfitnesspal.com)
6. Regular exercise/physical activity ( I bought a bike and ride 4-5 times a week)

At this point I can eat anything I like in small portions and I'm completely satisfied. Where I once ate an entire pizza I now cannot finish 1 slice. I make better food choices and do not feel deprived. Your taste and food likes changes post-op. I'm more selective in what I eat now, continue to limit carbs and focus on protein.

I feel great, have lots of energy and no londer sit on the sidelines. I'm fully engaged in life, family and with my children. The sleeve enabled me to lose all my excess weight and the impact of this on my life has been HUGE!

Best of luck,
George 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views