Anyone had to get a stress echo after their EKG?

KauaiLulu
on 6/25/11 6:31 am - HI
 Aloha everyone,

I am pre-op and had an EKG last week and got a call from my primary doctor saying that there were "non-specific changes" in the results and now need to have a stress echo.

I am a little anxious as to what this could mean and am wondering if any one else had to do this and, specifically, what the end result was.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Lulu
sleeve genie
on 6/25/11 6:41 am - Alhambra, CA
Hi there,  i had an abnormal ekg some years ago (maybe 6 or so) and at that time had to do the echo,  results were fine.  So before surgery my surgeon required cardiac clearance and i did another echo,  its not that bad,  you get on the treadmill for a few minutes,  not long,  and then you get on the table really quickly and they do like an ultra sound to see if the vessels are all open and stuff.   I take an extra beat once in a while but the cardiologist gave me clearance and said this would be good for me.   So all turned out great,  don't worry,  Losing weight is good for our hearts and everything else.   It was really no biggy   :o)jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Crssybear
on 6/25/11 7:00 am - TX
I did.  The EKG came out ok but I have a history of a heart murmer so the wanted to do the test.   They basically strap you up with these moniters and have you walk on an inclined treadmill to get your heart rate up.  To me it feels like an intense workout, only took about 15 minutes for the actual test.   My test came back great.  I wouldn't worry about it though, they just want to see how your heart performs under stress.  Its always good to get this kind of testing just to make sure everything is working ok.   :)

5'1"  28
HW:247 SW:235 GW:125
MILLERSDAUGHTER
on 6/25/11 9:03 am - Lewisport, KY
VSG on 04/07/11 with
I had to have the stress test and the echo as part of the pre-op when I was trying to get insurance approval for surgery.  Both were abnormal so the cardiologist required a cardiac cath before he would clear me.  Everything turned out fine.

BTW--I ended up as a self pay and had surgery in Mexico.  Having had the extensive cardiac work up plus an EGD, tons of labs and x-rays, I knew that I was a prime physical specimen before I went outside the states.  For me, it was worth it.
     Never, never, never give up!
...though she be but little, she is FIERCE...
A Midsummer Night's Dream
TerriM23
on 6/25/11 9:17 am
 I had a stress echo due to a big family history of heart trouble. I did one in 2007 so I knew what to expect. The second time I just went as long as I could on the treadmill. Do not let them push you over the edge. They might try so you will hit your target heart rate. Just do the best you can!!!  Good luck!! I made it through and so can you!!!
Thank God for getting me this far!!!         
KauaiLulu
on 6/25/11 9:23 am - HI
 Thanks for the replies.  I will just do what they ask.  I suppose it best to have all the info up front so the surgeon knows what to expect.  I just don't dig getting abnormal results back on tests but, then again, who does?

Will keep everyone posted and I move along in this journey.  I have learned so much from this website and the posts that I was so well-prepared for my visits to the surgical center week before last.  Can't wait to get a surgery date.

Good luck to all!
leanmama
on 6/26/11 5:22 am - St Louis , MO
DS on 03/26/13
I had an abnormal EKG as well and 2 days before surgery they cancelled my VSG, I got a non stress test, echo, amd nuclear scan done.    I could not do a treadmill, they give you IV meds that stress your heat.  Had ekg like pads on the gaveme meds, I stressed, recorded the ekd and I went to nuclear medicine for a follow up scan and then the next day for the f/u on the nuclear medicine scan.  All was great and sugery rescheduled and done on 11/2/10 Maja
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views