Better Calcuim Citrate Source?

anewdayforme
on 6/26/11 7:33 am
Hi everyone,
I'm preparing for surgery July 5th.  For the last several days I have been taking all of the vitamins, etc. that I will be required to take after surgery.  I'm taking a chewable calcium citrate tablet made by Twinlab that I get at the local Vitamin Shoppe.  I was just now reading the instructions (better late than never?) and found that the serving size I will need is 6-- count 'em, SIX-- tablets.  I can barely choke down one!  Suggestions, anyone?
Thank you!   
roundater
on 6/26/11 7:35 am - Lincoln, NE
I do chewable Tums - they have 60% MDR for calcium and I usually get the rest from skim milk and cottage cheese. Hope this helps.
Rich Sonderegger

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/11 8:06 am
Roundater- Tums is cal carbonate, not a good source as we cannot absorb much of the carbonate form at all.. smaller stomach=less acid, plus many of us are on a PPI, further reducing the acid. You should switch to citrate at some point soon. Just thought you should know. :)
roundater
on 6/26/11 8:34 am - Lincoln, NE
Thank you. Just going with what my doc advised plus my sister who had the surgery and takes them too.
Rich Sonderegger

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/11 9:15 am
No prob, every surgeon has their own plan and reasons for their suggested supplements.. I did just post an article below that compares the bioavailability for both in regular non-altered folks, in case you want to check it out. It may be something you want to ask them about on your follow up.
roundater
on 6/26/11 9:22 am - Lincoln, NE
Thanks for the clarification.
Rich Sonderegger

diane S.
on 6/26/11 9:48 am
FYI I took tums for a few weeks after surgery so I could chew them but then switched to calcium citrate tablets as per doctor's instructions. There are chewable forms but I used the tums as suggested by doctor until i could handle the pills.  Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

roundater
on 6/26/11 11:23 am - Lincoln, NE
Thanks Di. I will ask Dr. Winterstein about it when I see him Tuesday.
Rich Sonderegger

sleeve genie
on 6/26/11 7:46 am - Alhambra, CA
I take Citrical petites, they are 400 mg for 2 pills, the body can only absorb either 400 or 500 mg at a time so you have to take them three times a day.  They are very easy to swallow, have been taking them since 2 weeks post op which was when the surgeon said to start taking my supplements  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

rdd9348
on 6/26/11 7:57 am - OR
After surgery, I used a liquid that I got at my local health food store.  Blueberry flavored.  Not bad.  Can't remember the name, Sorry.   Still requires three doses per day since body only absorbs about 500 at a time and my surgeon (like most, I think) wants 1500 per day.

I ran out of the liquid a while ago and switched to the Citrical tablets which, from a sleeve perspective, are HUGE.  Every time I take one, it hits the sleeve like a full meal and I don't want to eat or drink for about 45 minutes.  Still 3 per day.
Highest-285, Start WLS Program-267, Surgery-245, Current-196, Goal-148 
                                   Short Term Goal - Under 185 by 10/15/11           
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 134 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views