Carbs and loss....????

TeriMac10
on 6/25/11 10:27 am
I am sorta confused about carbs...I eat so little but if I eat carbs (crackers, mostly) I seem to stop losing...???  If my intake is so low...why would throwing some carbs in make it slow or stop?
After seeing Frisco's post on using cucumbers as crakers...I am going to change some things up.  I tend to eat chicken, crab, tuna and egg salad on crackers...now it is going to be cucumbers and carrots!
Thanks! 
Teri   
Megdrassil
on 6/25/11 10:30 am - MI
 Your body needs carbs to survive.  Your brain needs about 130g a day just to function optimally.  Just try to eat smart carbs, like from veggies and some cheese.. stay away from the processed breads and pasta for a while.  You're already doing great :)  keep up the good work.

johnbertak
on 6/25/11 11:14 am - MD
I'm not a fanatic about avoiding or minimizing carbs; I just don't eat much processed food or "white" food.  But I will have a small portion of rice or potatoes w/ a meal and I'll have saltines (5) when I eat a bowl of soup.  I don't worry at all about the carbs I get from fruits and veggies; to me they're just part of my well-balanced diet.  Wifey (not on any diet) and I eat about 90% the same things, I just eat a lot less than she does.  Eat less, exercise more, stay hydrated and the weight comes off, at least it does for me.  I'm down 147 lbs. at 7 mos. post-op.  My dietitian has me focus on protein first, then eating a well-balanced diet.  I log EVERYTHING I eat so I know exactly how good or bad things are at all times.  Works for me.
Pop-Pop (pix on profile)

USAF Wife
on 6/26/11 1:35 am
I did low carb for my entire losing stage, and that was carbs, none of the good vs. bad carb thing. I ate 30-40gr per day bottom line. It was out of necessity mostly as I didn't have room if I ate protein first so no room for anything else. But, the other reason is because I knew I'd lose fast, and achieve my goals.

I used these for crunch instead of crackers.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/snacks/r/cheesecrisps.htm

My body runs best when I low carb. I feel amazing, I'm energized, and full of ***** The days where I eat more carbs, I'm lethargic, and honestly, I just feel horrible compared to days that I keep carbs low. All this stayed the same until pregnancy, and now I have to eat carbs, and I'm sure my exhaustion is related to the pregnancy and the change in my intake of different foods. Once in maintenance, I let a lot more foods back in that I had previously cut out. It not only helped me get into maintenance, but I was able to really "feel" the difference on how certain foods made my body run. My body was no worse off when I low carbed it, and my labs remained stellar.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

FaithForward
on 6/26/11 1:42 am - Houston, TX
I've included carbs since my surgery. I keep a pretty balanced diet that consists of all foods. I average about 100g carbs daily and they come from milk, whole grain goods, etc; I've never stalled and my theory was to not treat the sleeve like a diet but to eat like a normal person just much smaller portions. Although everybody is different, it has worked for me. I don't feel like I'm restricted or dieting in any way. If you tell me I can't have something, it makes me want it more. Just my 2 cents. A note about carbs though...is to eat smart carbs..whole grains not junk.
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded. ~2 Chronicles 15:7 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers 
5'6" ~ Loving a size 4 ~
Plastics Apr 17th, 2012 with Dr. Sauceda ~ BL, BA, LBL w/ flap aug & mini thigh lift!

wert
on 6/26/11 1:44 am - MN
This is just me, no one else. But I've discovered I need to stay far away from all white food. All of it. This summer I've been craving fresh fruit. I happily eat it knowing full well it will slow or stop my weight loss. For me it's an OK trade-off. There are the simple carbs - the processed food crap - and the complex carbs - the good stuff in fruit and veggies. Doesn't seem to matter to my body - a carb seems to be a carb. But this is just me. May be true for you, too. My mantra is "No White Food". Remember the old way of thinking? Fat makes you fat. Seems they got it wrong.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kristin-wartman/a-big-fat-deba te_b_831332.html 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 134 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views