Message for New People

diane S.
on 6/27/11 6:06 pm
When I joined this forum two and a half years ago there were perhaps 20 posts a day and maybe one or two people being sleeved per week and it was possible to read every post and respond to many. Since that time the sucess and popularity of the vsg has exploded. This is a good thing as its an excellent procedure and is life saving for many of us.

So while I focus on the vsg maintenance group (which all are invited to join regardless of status or type of surgery) I do try to read as much as I can on the main board and respond to posts when I think I have something to offer.

So in a nutshell here is what I can tell newer people as my recipe for a successful vsg surgery and weight loss:

Research the heck out of your surgeon. Find out his/her credentials, read their publications, find patients of theirs here on OH and ask questions. Go to more than one of their seminars and write down your questions and get them all answered. Also research the heck out of your procedure to make an informed decision.

Get your head in the right place. Be prepared to eat differently for the rest of your  life. Have a few food funerals if you must but say goodbye to that way of eating. Put it behind you so that after surgery you are less likely to revert to old bad habits. Use a counselor to do this if you need to but say your goodbyes to food before your surgery so you are not greiving for it afterwards. Consider it a new deal you are making - trading away twinkies and donuts for a slim body and a healthy longer life. A good trade in my opinion.

Once you have your surgery, follow your doctor's instructions to the letter. If they don't give good or complete insturctions, then follow one of the university developed guides that is available on line through OH.

Accept that you will have a few stalls and setbacks but know that you will lose your weight if you stick to the program, get your protein in and drink plenty of fluid. Don't worry that others seem to lose faster than you. Everyone one is different and it takes how long it takes. I was a slow loser and my doctor did not think I would get to goal. But I kept at it and I did and then some. And it feels great.

Don't think that if you are not losing fast enough that you need to increase calories. This is just not correct. You may need to increase protein but not calories. Keep your carbs low during weight loss phase. And food journal eveything with calories, carbs and protein. I used a little notebook (still do in maintenance) but an on line tracker is fine but just use it faithfully.

Exercise is good but following eating requirements is more critical in weight loss phase.

Use your weight loss phase to develop new eating habits that stay with you for life. Don't try to think of ways to get around your program by eating some candy or chips here or there. These are destructive habits that need to be broken right from the get go. After some weeks or months of healther eating habits, you don't miss that junk anymore but you will if you eat some here and there. A clean break is best.

This is not just another diet even though it sounds like one. After surgery your appetite,ability to consume food  and ultimately your relationship with food is profoundly changed forever. Its hard to understand until you have experienced it but the sleeve makes it immeasurably easier to stay with a severly calorie restricted program.

Protein drinks can suck but find a way to get them down in the first few months. Read the tips posted by Sublimate for newbies on how to make them taste better,

Utilize whatever support group you can find as studies show those who have them are more successful. And take the time to pay it forward and help someone else when you can. Surround yourself with supportive friends and distance yourself from the jealous nay-sayers. Who needs them.

Hope this helps. VSG is the third best thing I have ever done, the first being marrying my husband and the second being my education. Its been life changing and I know life extending.Best of luck to all of you starting your journey.   Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Sandy S.
on 6/27/11 6:31 pm
Thaks Diane you are so helpful!

"Step by step the longest march can be won,"  Sweet Honey and the Rock- Peace, San  HW 463 Surgery: 6/13/11; SW 413      
lanunes
on 6/27/11 7:52 pm - CA
 Thanks Diane =) I am new here as I haven't had my surgery yet ( july 19th) but am looking for any insight I can.. I think what you said about making sure you log your food daily  is key, and I need to improve on it. I was excited to see I will have the same surgeon you have. Not that I am in maintenance mode yet, but when I do, how do I find the VSG maint. portion on here?
THanks,
Leslie
      Leslie Nunes              
DuanesGirl
on 6/27/11 9:07 pm - KY
Hi Leslie,
You can find the VSG Maintenance group by typing in VSG Maintenance in the Search line in the top right hand corner of the screen.  It's a good board to check, not as active as this one yet, but lots of good info.  Hope this helps! 

Jennchap
on 6/27/11 11:38 pm - CA
Leslie,
You're getting sleeved on my birthday, that has to be a good sign! Congrats on your new journey!

HW 275   SW 229   CW 136 

diane S.
on 6/28/11 4:29 am
the address to vsg maintenance group appears below my ticker. lots of good info there from experienced sleevers that can be useful to people in all phases of this journey. Its like reading ahead a few chapters in the book - you know where its all heading. Knowledge is power.  Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

roundater
on 6/27/11 8:29 pm - Lincoln, NE
Good job Diane. Well done.
Rich Sonderegger

MrsClaus09
on 6/27/11 9:21 pm
As always....WELL SAID, Diane!!! 
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
Laurie M.
on 6/27/11 9:32 pm - KS
Thanks Diane! I have copied your advice so I can read it again & again as I go thru this process!

BuckeyeGirl
on 6/27/11 11:20 pm - TN
Great post...Newbies may want to bookmark this as well for reference during the first several months.

Thanks Diane,
Lindsey

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 258 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views