Esophageal Spasms

dmhenry
on 6/28/11 4:38 am - Wrightstown, NJ

I am going to be six weeks out tomorrow.  For the past week I have had this horrible pain under my rib cage.  It lasts about 10 seconds and goes away.  I had so bad last Friday I spent the day in bed and had to get my pain medicine out from my surgery just to get relief.  If that did not work then I was going to head to ER.  The doctor told me to go and get a Upper GI done today.  Great drink that nasty stuff again.  So when I was ready for the test the technician told me I had to drink all of that barium.  I told her I cannot fit all of that in my stomach.  So she said I will have to go get the doctor.  The doctor came in and he was same one that did my leak test after surgery.  I told him I had the sleeve 6 weeks out and I cannot fit all that in my belly.  He turned around and told the technician bariatric patients do not drink the barium they sip it as I take the pictures.  I wonder why she do not know???  I am glad I spoke up.  Lesson learned is to speak up for any tests I get done now.  I go back to doctors on Thursday hopefully I can get some relief from this. 

Has anyone else every had esophageal spasms?

Chimere
on 6/28/11 4:56 am
So when I was ready for the test the technician told me I had to drink all of that barium.  I told her I cannot fit all of that in my stomach.  So she said I will have to go get the doctor.  The doctor came in and he was same one that did my leak test after surgery.  I told him I had the sleeve 6 weeks out and I cannot fit all that in my belly.  He turned around and told the technician bariatric patients do not drink the barium they sip it as I take the pictures.  I wonder why she do not know???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Dear these people are not mind readers.  They do not know you have had surgery unless they tell them.  The orders only state......upper gi.......so they have no clue.  I think its a good practice to tell anyone you are haveing tests with that you are a bariatric patient and you just surgery

Good luck hope all turns well for you and get relief.
elizabethbrown24
on 6/28/11 5:04 am
I've had them for awhile...when I first started getting them I was sure I was having a heart attack but I was only 21ish at the time so I was totally freaked out!! I still have them, but I try to keep up on my acid reflux medicine and they seem to be a little better.  Good luck!! 

Valerie K.
on 6/28/11 5:31 am - Dearborn, MI
 gallbladder? might be? I had the pains that early out and did not do a thing till January lol. it was my gallbladder they took it out February. Now I do have esophageal spasms and there is nothing they can do for this. 

I just have to eat slow and drink slow that helps but not all the time. 

My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views