Medical Alert Bracelets

Susan0714
on 6/28/11 6:50 am - Kenner, LA
I know there was a post about them a few months back.. Does anyone wear one? 

I am just wondering if it is a good idea, to get one, in case I am in an accident and they tube me or give me NASIDS.. I have been looking at them, these past few days..

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated, thanks..

Susan
LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

OffshoreMedic
on 6/28/11 7:23 am - AL
I can think of nothing within the things you mentioned that would affect a sleeve. Most EMS units do not carry any NSAID's for administration in the field. You would get IV narcotics. Same goes for most ER's. As for being tubed, I assumed you meant endotracheal intubation which by name means it goes into the trachea for a direct line to the lungs and not the esophagus that would lead to the stomach. The only thing that I can think of would be an NG tube or an OG tube to remove gastric secretions. Those are RARELY done in the field with the exception of some flight crews and in certain situations.

Just my $.02 worth............if you would feel better with a medic alert bracelet then by all means go with it. You could always ask your PCP or surgeon their opinion too.
Susan0714
on 6/28/11 7:44 am - Kenner, LA
thank you OffshoreMedic I appreciate your response to my post.. When I had googled about it for Bariatric patients it only mentioned things about the Band, and the Bypass. 

That is why I had asked about the NG, and Nsaids.. I see my doctor tomorrow for the first time since my surgery..   I also did not know because again I was going to ask tomorrow that we (sleevers) could take Nsaids..

Thank you for your $.02 I appreciated it..

Susan

mynewlife121
on 6/28/11 7:24 am - MO
i normally wear one (my left wrist is broken and in a cast right now) with my surgery information on it and suegeon's number.  i got it at lauren's hope.  sorry about the typing -- hard to type with one hand

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.
njmom5870
on 6/28/11 7:26 am
I asked my doctor about this and he said if I were in an emergency situtation and needed a tube to breathe they would have to do it.  He said he doesn't think it's necessary.
    Lap Band Surgery 7/29/09......Removal after full slip 10/29/09
    Sleeve surgery...life really began....1/3/11

Ashley O.
on 6/28/11 7:28 am
I have one currently because I'm on a bunch of meds and my bloodpressure is ridiculously high.. After surgery I've heard of a few people getting them, but I'm not sure if i will or not.. im gonna ask my surgeon if he thinks its a good idea or not.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

Dawnie 88
on 6/28/11 7:34 am
I've never been told that it's necessary to wear one, so I haven't worried about it.  As far as NSAIDS go..with the sleeve you can take them..so that shouldn't be a worry.

Elaine2
on 6/28/11 7:39 am - Atlanta, GA
I only use one at the gym/pool (in case they finding me floating face down). Basically, though, it's for contact information and for one of my non-VSG related meds. Other than that I have an ICE card and listing on my phone for other times.
Normal stuff you would keep in your purse.

Couldn't hurt, though, if you're worried. Ask your surgeon.

Susan0714
on 6/28/11 7:47 am - Kenner, LA
Thank you guys so much for all your repsonses to my post.. It was something I had heard some people talking about and posts I had seen on other forums.... That is what made me think more about it..

Since I see my surgeron tomorrow first time since surgery, I will ask him, and see what he says.

I know the people in my support group, don't have any, but, since I am new with my sleeve.. I just wanted to make sure, that nothing hurts my new little tummy..

Thank you again, everyone.. I appreciated the responses..

Susan

tripmom02
on 6/28/11 7:50 am - NJ
 I have one of these (and keep one for my nonverbal two year old), it holds all my info and anything that any hosptial would need to know to treat me safely. 

http://www.medictag.com/

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 307 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 354 views