For those of you over 50, any suggestions to avoid wrinkles with wt. loss?

judyalbertson
on 6/29/11 12:16 pm
I am 55 and blessed with good skin.  But, my friends over 50 who have had WLS look so much older with their wt. loss...
I don't want to look older and wrinkled when I drop a lot of wt. rapidly with my upcoming sleeve.
Any suggestions on keeping my skin firm on my face?

Not2L8
on 6/29/11 12:38 pm
Newme209
on 6/29/11 1:04 pm - NJ
I think it's all in our genes... But it would t hurt to keep moisturizing throughout the process.

I'm 5'6.5 
HW 253   SW 238 (-15 lbs preop)   CW 153

Final goal: 150-155 ...MET 153 (-100lbs) 11/24/11)

thin1soon
on 6/29/11 2:06 pm
I am also 55 and had surgery Nov. 6, 2008.  It has been my experience that the amount of sagging skin you have post-surgery is partly due to genetics and partly the physical shape you were in before surgery.  I've been lucky. . . my face doesn't have any more wrinkles than before my sleeve; I just have a little sagging in my neck.  If I was ten years younger, I'd have it fixed, but I p'bly won't.  My stomach has some loose skin kinda in a circle, but I wear 4's and 6's, so all it would do to have that fixed is let me wear 2's. . . I'm happy where I am.  Good luck!
thin1soon  TN

Pre-surgery weight 11/6/08-253
Post surgery (12 wks.) 2/3/09-185
68 pounds lost

BriarRose
on 6/29/11 2:58 pm
Saggy baggy the elephant here....My face isn't so bad, but I have turkey waddle neck...and lots of saggy skin....but I weighed 300lbs a year ago. It actually isn't as bad as I thought it would be; but there is no way to get around it; I have extra skin. In some places, it looks great; in others, less great.

I'm 55 years old. I have lived a life. My past experiences are shown in my intellect and in my body. There is no question about it.

I use a good lotion after my shower; I am exercising to the best of my ability; I drink a lot of water, I eat some healthy fats to keep my skin from drying out too.

It is what it is. Shurg.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
USAF Wife
on 6/29/11 11:04 pm
I'm only 34, and have been heavily moisturizing since surgery. My wrinkles (the 11 lines in between the brows, crows feet, and laugh lines) are all extremely prominent on my face now. No one ever thinks I'm old enough to have a 13yr old son, and be pregnant again. BUT, I see the wrinkles and increased lines. Unfortunately, I have no magic cure, or suggestions as I've used a high quality moisturizer and firming cream since coming home from the hospital.

I'm going to have botox and filler via Juvederm or other collagen option once I deliver because I am extremely vain about my wrinkles. All of my friends and family, especially my husband, try to tell me it's all in my head, and they're 100% correct, but I'm not willing to constantly look at my reflection and pictures of myself and see those glaring lines staring back at me.

The one thing the heavy moisturizing and firming cream did help was the turkey neck. I honestly don't have any hanging skin, or icky wrinkly skin on my neck, but I did through my losing stage.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

karen203
on 7/1/11 10:14 am - Meriden, CT
RNY on 03/31/16
What brand were the moisturizer and firming cream that you used?

Karen

USAF Wife
on 7/2/11 12:50 am
I used a ROC firming cream, and have been using Garnier ultra gravity defying moisturizer for almost 2 years. I switched over to Loreal Youth Code, and didn't feel the tightness that the Garnier gave me.

I'm about to start using a Mary Kay eye firming cream because 2 of my friends use it and swear it has helped with crows feet and subtle lines around the eyes. I've seen the results and they both had a decrease in how noticeable their little lines were around their eyes.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

OldMedic
on 6/30/11 4:26 am - Alvaton, KY
It partially depends on how much weight you have to lose, partially on your genes, and partly on how much weight you carry in your face.

There is absolutely NO method of avoiding saggy skin if you lose a lot of weight.  Your skin has stretched, and it will never rebound completely by the age of 50 (it might for a teen/early 20's person, at least some).

All I can tell you is that my face didn't sag, and I didn't get much in the way of wrinkles.  BUT, I also carried very little of my weight in my face.  I was 65 when I had my surgery, and most of my friends say I actually look younger without all the weight.

BUT, I do not wear short shorts, of sleevless shirts, etc.  My upper arms and thighs look like 50 miles of really bad road!

The ONLY way to completely stop having saggy skin, etc. is plastic surgery.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

Jesse_James
on 6/30/11 4:48 am
 When the skin is stretched out, as you got bigger, it loses some of its elasticity.  You also lose elasticity with age.  Your skin can recover somewhat the appropriate shape as you lose, but there's quite a time lag and it'll be far from complete. Losing weight more slowly would give your skin more time for that readjustment to take place.  But I don't know you want to lose slowly on purpose for that reason.  Wrinkles is just one of those things where you have say it's a negative that so worth it due to all the positives of losing weight.

loose -- (adj)  not tight
lose - (verb)  to rid oneself of

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views