6 months out peeps... soup?

Cupcakemusician
on 6/29/11 1:14 pm - TX
 hi friends! i was wondering what your opinion is on soup. i recently had a cup of tortilla soup with no tortilla chips at a mexican rest. it was delicious! and pretty healthy. lots of veggies and chicken, etc. But i felt guilty because i felt like i was breaking the rules by having soup because it feels like I am drinking and eating at the same time. what do you think or how do you feel about this?will it stretch me out? i am so scared of my lil tummy getting bigger.  I am 6 months out and down 96 pounds. 

roundater
on 6/29/11 1:29 pm - Lincoln, NE
Don't see where that would be a problem 6 months out. Hope I am as successful as you in 6 months. Check with your doc if still not sure.
Rich Sonderegger

MediumSoon
on 6/29/11 1:31 pm - TX
Probably not the best DAILY choice b/c you could take in way too many calories that way - but as an occasional - sounds awesome!

LonnieThatGirl D.
on 6/29/11 1:44 pm
One of the preop classes I took said you should drink the liquid, wait 5-10 minutes and then eat the contents of the soup.  HTH :-) 
Sandy S.
on 6/29/11 1:50 pm
that is so good to know thanks

"Step by step the longest march can be won,"  Sweet Honey and the Rock- Peace, San  HW 463 Surgery: 6/13/11; SW 413      
angieb77
on 6/29/11 1:52 pm - Blaine, MN
That is interesting. Thanks for sharing that tip!

HW: 375 SW: 325 CW: 263 GW: 160
Pre-Surgery WL: 50lbs

hmd77
on 6/29/11 10:20 pm - KY
Hmm not sure but I don't think soup is going to stretch your tiny tummy. I think the issue is more with the soup passing through the tummy quickly and not providing that feeling of fullness. My NUT told me that the liquids pass very quickly (within minutes) and can push down any food - ergo not eating while drinking. However, the person above mentioned drinking the broth then waiting and eating some veg/meat 10 mins after - this sounds like a good solution. Another thought might be to break up the chicken/veg (since they are so soft in tortilla soup anyway) and make the soup thicker, then enjoying.

Surgery Date  6/6/2011
Bluegrass Bariatrics
Dr. John Oldham
Add me on FB -  http://www.facebook.com/heavenly12b

CoolBeans
on 6/30/11 3:37 am - MD
 I am pre-op and asked the nutritionist about soup. She said it was fine if it was a stew type soup and if you needed to have more veggies and more chicken to make it like that, then add them. She said to think of it like milk on cereal. 
 Cari    
mrsfrogdr
on 6/30/11 7:08 am
Funny thing is everyone is different.  I have always heard to avoid yogurt and soup when you get past mushies becuse the don't stick around long...but for me they are both very filling and actually keep me feeling full longer than solids do...but if I ad any kind of carbs like a cracker to the soup...its gone...no clue why but since it seems to work for me...I am not gonna argue with my sleeve....so listen to your sleeve is my advice!!!
Big Frog Kisses,           
 DAWN   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 446 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 466 views