is this normal. 4 days out

Lisie318
on 7/3/11 10:06 am - VA
i cant get out of my chair without help from someone, i get sharp pains in my right side, the side where they took my stomach out and where my drain was.  i feel soo BLOATED its kinda painful, i cant really get fluid in because everytime i take my baby sips slowly i feel like im kinda having a heart attack. im scared i might need to go back to the hospital. please help me!

Could_It_Be
on 7/3/11 10:10 am
Totally normal! Are you taking your pain meds as prescribed?

Hang in there
Lisie318
on 7/3/11 10:14 am - VA
 OH THANK YOU!!  yes i learned yesterday that i really need to stop trying to be a hero and take it!!  its just weird because i have so much energy like i wanna go on a bike ride but i cant because my side hurts soo bad!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/3/11 10:20 am
We had our surgeries the same day.  I can relate to your comment about feeling like you could ride a bike...  it's going to be easy to overdo it these next couple of weeks (as I did today when I realized I'm actually NOT ready to ride a bike or anything like it as I stood in line at Borders).  Some people just feel pain differently than others.  If you're having pain, my meager two cents is to stay ahead of it by putting yourself on a schedule to take your meds for the next day or two, sleep a lot, get fluids in when you're awake, and walk around the block here and there.  You're on the right path:)
angieb77
on 7/3/11 11:08 am - Blaine, MN
Try some gas-x strips, they dissolve on your tongue.  It helps a lot with the bloating and gas trapped in you.  They pump us so full of gas during surgery.  Ice packs on your belly helps a lot with the swelling and soreness from your incisions.  Take your pain meds as prescribed.  Write down when you take it so you know when you should take more.  Heating pads on your back help.  Remember when you are awake to sit and stand up straight.  I sat in a living room chair with comfy pillows behind my back and on my sides.

Sometimes it is easier to drink warm fluids like broth or even heating up some diluted apple juice was helpful for me in the beginning.  Be careful with cold beverages the first week or two they can cause painful stomach spasms.  Make sure you follow your restrictions do not lift anything or push anything heavy.  No exercising until your surgeon clears you.  Walking only!  You do not want to risk hurting any of your external or internal stitches.

At about 2 weeks out it was suddenly easier for me to take sips.  I felt more open.  I think a lot of the swelling had gone down.  I was finally able to get in my sips.  It gets easier with time.  Good luck on your journey!

HW: 375 SW: 325 CW: 263 GW: 160
Pre-Surgery WL: 50lbs

urmisnshin2
on 7/4/11 12:41 pm - TX
oh yes!! take the pain medicine and don't let the pain get ahead of you!! I did learn that from watching my sister, and I even asked for half doses becuase I didn't wanna be all gorked out...and half doses did control that right sided pain and I was able to drink!!!
Good Luck Lisie!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 78 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views