TMI: Constipation

angieb77
on 7/11/11 1:13 pm, edited 7/11/11 1:18 pm - Blaine, MN
I've been having issues with constipation.  It has been 3 days since I have gone.  And before that it had been 4 days and I ended up taking dulcolax laxative.  Had a bad experience/reaction.  Took it around 6pm and I was having severe stomach cramping and nausea and started vomiting around 10:30pm.  But I was finally able to go to the bathroom (several times) over the night.  However the start of my bowels was so hard it was very painful.  My surgeon recommended I only take Milk of Magnesia liquid as a laxative.  I left a message for him at the clinic today but for some reason I didn't get a call back.

Tomorrow will be day 4 for me.  I am having a little bit of cramping tonight a little bit of gas but no sign of a bowel movement coming.  Those of you who have had constipation issues what have you done to remedy this?  I do not want to keep having to take a laxative everytime this happens.  I did increase my water intake starting this weekend to get in the full 64oz.  I was only getting in around 42oz previously.

HW: 375 SW: 325 CW: 263 GW: 160
Pre-Surgery WL: 50lbs

sleevegirl
on 7/11/11 1:23 pm - Austin, TX
After an experience with a fissure a few years ago, I take Miralax in a glass of water almost every morning. It's non habit forming and very gentle. It does take a few days to work. Excellent stuff.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

angieb77
on 7/11/11 1:45 pm - Blaine, MN
I think I am going to go pick up some Miralax tomorrow. But I think I am going to have to use the darn Milk of Magnesia tomorrow because I won't be able to wait another few days for the Miralax to start working.  I'm wondering how soon after using the Milk of Magnesia can I start using Miralax.  Is Miralax okay to use for a long period of time?

HW: 375 SW: 325 CW: 263 GW: 160
Pre-Surgery WL: 50lbs

sleevegirl
on 7/11/11 2:42 pm - Austin, TX
I've asked that question of my PCP, my general surgeon who took care of the fissure and my sleeve surgeon and all said it's fine. I usually know if I'm going to have issues and start taking it, but honestly, I pretty much take it every morning that I remember. It makes everything normal for me.

Having said that, I can stop taking it when I know I won't need it and it's not like things go back to being bad, I guess that's the non habit forming thing. I would ask your doctor before starting it, but I've zero trouble with it. I'm pretty sure the stuff is little flakes of gold ;)

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

TrinaBeeIsMe
on 7/11/11 2:50 pm - NV
VSG on 03/14/12
How far after surgery did you start taking the Miralax? Is it a big amount to swallow. Is the normal dose what you should take since the stomach will be so small?  I haven't had surgery yet just getting info.
TrinaBee                        
sleevegirl
on 7/11/11 2:52 pm - Austin, TX
I had the opposite problem after surgery, it wasn't until around Day 10 that it became a problem. I started with 1/2 dose and kept that up until I really needed help and then did 2 days of full. I'm doing half doses again to see what happens. 

Sunkissedsgrho
on 7/11/11 3:50 pm - LA
OMG!! I know what you mean! I had a fissure before and let me tell you....that was the most uncomfortable feeling I've ever had! Surgery was a BREEZE compared to that fissure! So I do what I can to stay regular.
Birdie55
on 7/11/11 1:24 pm
If you search for constipation (search bar on top right of this page) you will see this is a common problem.

I take a spoonful of generic benefiber in my protein drink daily along with 2 generic colace. Many people take a daily dose of Miralax or a generic equivalent. My surgeon said daily colace was fine and others have posted that their surgeons said daily Miralax is fine too.

Since we eat mostly protein and then little bits of vegetables and fruits, we don't get enough fiber on a regular basis. I'm sure others will post and tell you what they do also.

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

roundater
on 7/11/11 1:26 pm - Lincoln, NE
My sister who had this surgery and lost 122 lbs says that constipation is a common side effect. I keep a bottle of milk of magnesia handy but haven't had to use it yet.
Rich Sonderegger

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/11 1:44 pm
VSG on 03/14/11 with
Suppository! Magic! Promise!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 446 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op