What type of things did you eat your first few weeks out?

tripmom02
on 7/14/11 8:44 am - NJ
 I am preping for surgery, I have five kids so I like to be prepared well before hand (and so I can watch for sales and deals and pick things up as I go). 

So for the first few stages, what did you eat - clear liquids (what kind of protine did you use during this time, I had a horrible reaction to the pre-made Isopure when I had my band, so I need other ideas) and full liquids (give me some protine shake reccomendations please!). 

I want to have a full pantry, ready to go by Sept LOL 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Ms. Poker Face
on 7/14/11 8:57 am
Here is a huge list of shakes!  

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/5906-a-huge-list-of- protein-drink-recipes/

I've also found pre-mixed shakes to be easier/better at least for me.  I currently like the EAS carb control.

Good luck!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

tripmom02
on 7/14/11 9:21 am - NJ
Ok, you had me at Pumpkin Protein Shake LOL That sounds SO good. Thank you so much for that awesome list, I am going to bookmark it AND print it so I know I won't lose it LOL 

I am off to check out the EAS! 

Lynn5707
on 7/14/11 9:36 am - IN
Hi,

I am just starting my week two, but cream soups were really tasty. I'm already tiring of the protein drinks. Also SF popsicles have been a life saver!

Lynn
Elaine2
on 7/14/11 9:43 am - Atlanta, GA
Add these protein shake recipes to your arsenal.
Can't have too many ways to jazz them up.
http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/06/my-fa vorite-protein-shake-recipes.html
In case you haven't checked it out, a great website for recipes for all phases.

I would also stock up on allot of soups that you can strain and creamed soups for a little later.
Crystal lite, G2, iced tea...whatever fluids you like.

Good luck.

roundater
on 7/14/11 11:02 am - Lincoln, NE
I stayed with mushies from a couple of days out and then was on solid food from about day 7 out. My surgeon is more liberal than most as to what I can eat. Might want to get some samples of protein shakes to see which ones you like. Check with what your surgeon and NUT advise and go with their advice.
Rich Sonderegger

becca2297
on 7/14/11 1:05 pm
My surgeon had me on the liquid diet for 2 weeks before and then clear for one week and then full liquid again for 2 weeks.  I am so sick of milkshakes I can scream.  One of the things that I do everyday is down 20 oz of cherry crystal light and put in a whole pkg of cherry syntrax nectar and shake it up with some soni****  It's really sweet though so be careful.  You can tweak it how you like it too.  I've tried the strawberry and the peach....dont care for the peach much.  That is 105 calories and zero carbs......I also started making some gerber baby oatmeal (I know I'm cheating a bit) but I'm just 2 days away from muchies and puree.  The strained cream soup is good but it ups the calorie intake a lot so I only have 2 oz a day (if that).  Using it like that...one can will last for 4 days.  I was like you and stocked up and I stocked up too much on stuff like the soup.......

Consult weight =312    SW=299    CW=233   GW=160
I am 5'7"   Lost 13  of these lbs on the 2 week liquid diet.
Zee Starrlite
on 7/15/11 2:48 am

-Bottled water - I am a tap person, but the bottled water made me set goals and drink, drink, drink
-Protein shakes (I am using Labrada, Iso Femme, Pure Whey, Muscle Milk - basically I just do it, to keep healthy.  It is like taking your medicine, sometimes you have to pinch your nose!)
-SF Popsicles - these are great and will keep you hydrated - I am still hooked.  They come in regular and tropical.  I love the Popsicle brand specifically but any SF will do.  Weeks later I've added SF Fudgesicles
-SF mix-in drinks like Crystal lite
SF/ZERO - Gatorade, Propel, Vitamin Water
-SF Jello
-0%Greek PLAIN yogurt
(lots!!! the protein is plentiful) - I like Fage best, Chobani.  I stuck to those until this week when I bought Trader Joes (check the protein - mine 21 grams) which I haven tried
-Instant Mash - which I am not crazy about as it has not nutritional about it.  The bonus is it switches things up a bit after all the SF sweet tastes

A little later
-Canned Tuna
-Beans/Chili  I am doing beans every single day for lunch - lots of protein & fiber
-Lite cheese sticks

If you are cooking you may want to save some little bags or containers of food for when you get to your purees and mushies - just be mindful, you don't want pasta or rice or anything that won't benefit your healing, health, & weight loss.

Good luck hun.  Our sleeved stomachs feel very natural!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

tripmom02
on 7/15/11 3:32 am - NJ
 Thanks everyone! I am going to start list so I can watch for stuff. I guess since I have been here, done this I have a bit of an advantage since I kind of already know what I like. Your suggestions are awesome, and I welcome any others you have!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 391 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views