Greek Yogurt - High in Carbs?

justeric78
on 7/15/11 12:42 am - Houston, TX
I have seen quite a few posts with lots of us eating Greek Yogurt for the protein but when I looked at them last night they are had between 15-25 carbs a serving. That seems like an awful lot am I just looking at the wrong brands are are the only people eating it the ones not worried about the carbs?

Katester
on 7/15/11 12:54 am
that kinda scared me too. I eat the Dannon greek yogurt vanilla flavor. it has 18 sugars and 19 carbs if I remember correctly. That much sugar doesnt make me tired like if I ate cookies or candy or something. It tastes awesome so I continue...it has not slowed my weightloss I don't think...well I'm transitioning to maintence and it hasnt made me gain I should say. I don't take in any other carbs throughout the day so I allow the yogurt.
Elaine2
on 7/15/11 12:57 am, edited 7/15/11 12:57 am - Atlanta, GA
I just check myfitnesspal to make sure but
****Fage 0%   130 cals, 23 protein and 9 carbs
****Fage 2%    170 cals, 23 protein and 9 carbs
That's for 1 cup (a sh** load of yogurt!)

Maybe you're looking at flavored or fruit added....Dress it up yourself with flavorings...sweet or savory.

loverofcats
on 7/15/11 1:04 am
The flavored Greek yogurts do have a lot of carbs from the added sugar from the fruit and sweetners. Plain Non-Fat Greek yogurt is fairly low in carbs, and fruit and sugar-free products can be added to it. I used the plain yogurt during most of my losing phase and continue to use it on a daily basis. I love it. The plain Greek yogurt has an awesome amount of protein, and if you mix a little protein powder or cottage cheese with it, the protein content is about the same or more than a protein drink. Just stay away from the flavored Greek yogurts. They are too high in sugar and carbs.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

laurak712
on 7/15/11 1:07 am - New Braunfels, TX
Yes, what Elaine said is correct.  You may be looking at the flavored varieties.  Even the vanilla flavored one has more carbs than the plain.  And 1 cup of yogurt is really a LOT of yogurt.  You certainly can't eat that much right now, if ever.  I still can only eat about 5 or 6 ounces MAX at 2 1/2 years out.  So what I do is measure out 1/2 cup and add a scoop of vanilla protein powder to it.  That is truly a protein loaded meal...like 35gms or so, with very low carbs and calories.  I don't know any other way, other than a scoop and a half of protein shake, to get that much protein in one sitting with as few calories and carbs.  But you've got to use the plain one.  The cals on that concoction are about 180 calories, 34 grams protein, 6 or 7 grams of carbs. 

Laura

Height 5' 7

Ms. Poker Face
on 7/15/11 1:11 am
Plain non-fat greek is the way to go.  Like others said, mix in some of your own spices (I like a packet of splenda with pumpkin pie spice).

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Mom4Jazz
on 7/15/11 2:19 am
OK, yum. I had never heard of this option. I do believe I have some pumpkin pie spice.

Wonder if I could add some vanilla protein powder, then do this. Hmmmmmm.....

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/11 1:37 pm
 That sounds good- and I have added a little sugar free pudding mix to mine, with a little splenda and vanilla extract.. mmm pistachio yogurt is gooood.. It does make it thicker though!
ruggie
on 7/15/11 3:24 am - Sacramento, CA
Brilliant!!!!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

justeric78
on 7/15/11 1:22 am - Houston, TX
Thank you all, I was looking mostly at the flavored varieties. I will go back and look at all the plain flavors.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views