30 min to eat a meal. Really?

justeric78
on 7/17/11 10:43 pm - Houston, TX
So everything I have read and the friends I have talked to all tell me I should be spreading my meals out to 30 min. I have though always been a speed eater and it seems nothing has changed. I seem to eat my 4-5 bites in a matter of minutes (even chewing 50 or so times)  and sit there and watch everyone finish their meals over the next 15 min. Can someone enlighten me on what you do to spread your meals out? I had the plication so maybe I dont what whatever type of restriction a regular sleeve has on the eating. If it is not restriction on how fast you eat do you all just have to time it so you sit and wait for periods of time? The main reason I am asking this is because I still have times when I feel like I ate a bite or two to much which is obviously unpleasant and would really like some tips to slow down so this doesnt happen. 

Pbell
on 7/17/11 11:41 pm
 I felt the same way... I would be done in 10 to 15 min and not take all 30 min to eat.  So now what I do is take a plate and divide it into 4 sections and spread my food out.  Then I have a timer, and something else to do.... I have about 7 min per section.  I put my fork down between bites.  and then I work on something else... whether it be a puzzle (crossword or wordsearch), grocery list, list of things to do for the day.... regardless something else.  That way I have found personally I slow down A LOT..... 

acbbrown
on 7/17/11 11:49 pm - Granada Hills, CA
When I eat with other people,I eat a little slower since there's talking going on. I just put my fork down after every bite and wait a few minutes.

When I'm alone though, I don't think any meal will ever take me 30 min. When I'm eating dense protein like meat or I'm trying something new, I eat a lot slower to make sure I don't over do it, but everything else...aye aye aye. It's a work in progress.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Jasonm11
on 7/18/11 12:22 am
I put down my fork after each bite and pick up my iPhone to play angry birds....just sent an update for Rio so that will get me throug a meal or two...

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
justeric78
on 7/18/11 2:12 am - Houston, TX
So do regular sleeves once healed not have some kind of restriction that forces you to stop you all just put down your utensils and step back from the meal? If that is the case then I just really need to put myself together when it comes to my eating and stop those old habits. After the last few months of hell I have had you would think I would have wanted to do everything perfectly and I am so damn addicted to food it shows even more now. Thanks all for the replies.
(deactivated member)
on 7/18/11 3:21 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
*regular sleeves once healed not have some kind of restriction that forces you to stop you all just put down your utensils and step back from the meal? *

With meat?  Yea.  With other stuff? chips, meats with veggies, meats with breads, those kinda things no for me.

And also, the longer I sit and eat, the more I WILL and CAN eat. 

Some lady was bragging that it took her husband an hour to eat a whole McMuffin - ?  Well of course, most of us COULD do that, but the point was restriction!

Definitely take the time to learn good/better/best habits, it will ONLY do well by you.  The further out you get, the more you CAN eat and the fewer good habits you already have in your pocketzes, the sorrier you may well be. 

Good luck, friend.
Kristy R.
on 7/18/11 3:14 am - Santa Clara, CA
 I don't eat fast, but I also don't take 30 minutes most of the time.  
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

emelar
on 7/18/11 3:22 am - TX
I don't take 30 minutes to eat.  Heck, I doubt that I take 10 when I'm eating alone.  I'm satisfied when I'm finished and I walk away.  I think I'd lose my mind trying to spend 30 minutes eating!

When I'm with others, I just talk (more) and move food around on my plate and take tiny bites just to keep in sync with everyone else.  It was hard at first, but it's becoming routine.
mamabear5
on 7/18/11 4:12 am
I put the fork down with each bite. and read or do computer while I eat or talk with others.  If I eat 10/ 15 minutes I can eat the whole meal I have measured out. but if I eat slowly 25/30 minutes I can only eat half of that meal and I am full and happy till the next meal!!

rdd9348
on 7/18/11 11:36 am - OR
Most of the time, I'm nowhere near 30 minutes.  I just decide what I'm going to eat, then eat it at a pace that seems comfortable.  Usually 5 minutes.  Today I had half a chicken breast in somewhere between 5 and 10.  The only time I get to anywhere near thirty is with greek yogurt for some reason.  Sometimes I eat it in the car on the way to work (60 minute commute) and it can take me that long to finish 1/2 or maybe 3/4 cup.  I think if I were eating a meal with meat, vegetable and something else, maybe I could make it last 30, but I usually just eat one thing at a time. 
Highest-285, Start WLS Program-267, Surgery-245, Current-196, Goal-148 
                                   Short Term Goal - Under 185 by 10/15/11           
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 446 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 466 views