Home from Mexico and having no problems with my sleeve!

judyalbertson
on 7/21/11 1:25 pm
I left last Sunday for San Diego with my sister and we were picked up and driven to Mexicali, 120 miles away.  Very hot there...112!   But, I spent very little time outdoors, anyway.  I had my blood work, chest xray, EKG, and UA before having a nice dinner at the Crowne Plaza Hotel.  We were picked up at 7 AM and taken to Almater Hospital.  We were given the largest room because there were no other patients there at that time.  I have extensive pre-op discussions with Dr. Aceves, Dr. Campos, the OR nurse and the anesthesiologist.  I don't remember a thing about the surgery or recovery room...!  They gave me an epidural along with the general anesthesia to help with post-op pain.  The doctors found a hiatal hernia and repaired it.  Hopefully, that will be the end of my reflux issues that have bothered me for the last year or so.  
Anyway, the doctors were excellent and came to see me 4-5 times every day.  Their English is good, but the nurses, not so much.  My pain was mild to moderate and mostly at the drain site.  The pain was less once the drain was removed.  I had a leak test the first post-op day and had to drink some contrast solution the second post-op day and have some xrays to make sure fluids were going to the appropriate areas.  I had zero nausea the whole time.  I am taking in small amts. of clear liquids and not having much in the way of gas pain.  Gas is going thru, but no signs of anything else yet so I took some Miralax when I got home today.  I walked several times a day at the hospital and quite a bit at the airports today....I need to rest and read my materials and keep learning how to live with my new stomach!  It is definitely a lifestyle change and I am so glad I have the opportunity!

Birdie55
on 7/21/11 1:45 pm
Glad to hear you're doing so well and home ok.  I don't remember the recovery room either.  I woke up in my hospital bed..

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

walmartian
on 7/21/11 1:54 pm
Good for you, but a word of advice, you are not going to 'go' for a few days and it's entirely normal. Do NOT take anymore Mirilax, by now you may already know the hard way that you shouldn't have had the first  dose...just sayin. Liquid in, and liquid out is the norm here until you go back on solid food.

TammyBell
on 7/21/11 2:21 pm, edited 7/21/11 2:21 pm - Huffman, TX
Thank you soo much for sharing you story with us...  so glad your surgery went well and you are home safe and sound ready for the journey of the rest of you life... I wish much success and warm wishes...  I am having surgery friday july 30th in Mexico and to be honest I am getting really scared... but I am also very excited to start using my tool to finally to loose weight and keep it off...

Tammy

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views