2 weeks out and wondering about a typical meal

Nancy K.
on 7/24/11 7:48 am - Waterford, CT
I am 2 weeks out tomorrow but still on a clear liquid diet. I see the doctor Tuesday and will progress to soft foods.

I have to say I had a terrible nutritionist pre-op and she  really didn't know much about the Sleeve.

I would love to know what you are eating to ensure you have enough protein. A sample menu of a day would be great to see!

Thank You!

Banded August 1, 2006, Revision to Sleeve July 11, 2011

wade7919
on 7/24/11 7:58 am - LA
I was on liquids for the first 11-14 days , then to soft / purred food, and soft fsih thats been baked or tuna fish, i'm still on the soft food now for the past 2 and half weeks , I'm amonth out.

I'm doing protein shakes as much as i can tolerate. I got some Whey Protein Mix from wal-mart 52grams per 2 scoops. i usually mix one and half scoup per 8oz skim milk and half a bananna.

and everything i eat except for 2 times so far has been high in protein. I'm trying to get in atleast 60 grams a day of protein.
HW - 365  :   SW - 345  :  CW - 309  :  GW - 180

wade7919
on 7/24/11 8:00 am - LA
I've done the refriend beans with some cheese on it with the greek yogurt.

ricotta lassange -  ricotta - cheese - lowfat/no suger sauce ..

tuna fish with lowfat mayo or plain

thats basically what I eat and afew otehr things here and there.
HW - 365  :   SW - 345  :  CW - 309  :  GW - 180

Nancy K.
on 7/24/11 8:08 am - Waterford, CT
Thank you! Can you eat egg salad made the same way as tuna? Just a thought. So if I understand you supplement your food with the shakes?

GOING2LOSEIT2011
on 7/24/11 8:09 am
After my  2 week Dr visit  I was able to have  yogurt  Plain Greek Fage )with torani syrup is my fav.
Eggs, applesauce, Fish, Cottage cheese , fruit , crackers ..Didn't eat much, still don't  I am almost 4 weeks post op..but the variety was wonderful .. Also I drink a protein shake every day  (Jay Rob) No sugar, no fat 1 carb and 25 protein .

I am a kaiser (Nor Cal) pt and we were given a workbook, with all the stage foods we could have it has been really helpful
http://www.permanente.net/homepage/kaiser/pages/d18071-top.html

Hope this helps

I can do all things through Christ who strengthen me.Phil 4:13
  Hw 386  Sw 322 Cw 226.6
DR.Christine Chu   Fremont , Ca                 
  VSG  6/28

Nancy K.
on 7/24/11 8:28 am - Waterford, CT
Wow thanks! Your info was very informative. I can't wait to see what he gives me and compare. I agree that although I won't be able to eat much, just the variety will be wonderful! I just want a different taste in my mouth!

Thanks again...

roundater
on 7/24/11 9:00 am - Lincoln, NE
If you are still on mushies, protein shakes and cottage cheese lo fat helped carry the day for me.
Rich Sonderegger

Sleever77
on 7/24/11 4:12 pm
I'm exactly where you are.  Had my surgery on 7/11/11 too.  Wondering what to eat, still trying to get all the protein in (70gm my doctor wants), it' hard!  Protein shakes, soft foods- fish, LF cottage cheese, refried beens, moist chicken with mayo, hard boiled egg with mayo.  Sip, sip, sip water. Best to you and keep us posted.

2BSheila
on 7/24/11 4:20 pm - Nashville, TN
I'm not sure if you mean a menu for 2 weeks out, or a bit later.   When I got off of clears (Hooray!) I started drinking the EAS CarbAdvantage ready to drink shakes and I still do.  I have at least one every day, usually my breakfast on the drive into work.  May also have one for lunch, or a snack if I feel the need.  I ordered some protein supplements but haven't really used them, as I find that I can get enough protein in with drinks and food.  I remember eating alot of tuna salad and scrambled eggs the first week of softs, and being surprised that I could only eat a couple of bites without feeling full.   I didn't worry about getting my full protein quota in at first, as I was more interested in letting my sleeve heal and get accustomed to the new foods gradually.

Now I eat alot of meats, had gyros meat for lunch today, and steak for dinner. A couple of bites of vegetable at each meal too of course.  If you want to know about your protein intake, try using a tool like myfitnesspal.com.  It will show you the protein, carbs, etc in a variety of foods, so you can see how you are doing and what to plan for.  Don't stress over it now, it will get easier as your body heals.  Best Wishes!......Sheila

Nancy K.
on 7/24/11 10:38 pm - Waterford, CT

Hi Sleever77,
Great to find someone with the same surgery date!  Hope you are doing well. I know I am not getting enough protein at this time since I am on a clear liquid diet and 2oz of Glucerna at meals. I am hoping the doctor lets me move to soft foods when I see him tomorrow. I love Pure Protein shakes and am not worried about getting in the amount I need once I am cleared to have more than liquids. Good luck and we will definietly stay in touch!

Hi Shelia,
You told me exactly what I wanted to know. I am interested in finding out about down the road. I don't know why, probably because I am hungry and also because I had no clue! It sounds like eventually I will have a well rounded meal. For some reason I am missing my veggies and salad. I love spinach and wondered if I would ever eat it again! Looking forward to begin my journey, once I am off clear liquids!

Thanks to you both!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 284 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views