Attitude Changes!

Msbfree
on 7/24/11 12:49 am - Red Oak, TX
Hello,,

I was wondering if anyone experienced any difference in attitude.. Not of course the obvious joy from you weight loss, but something like going from a jolly easiy to laugh person, to a more sedate overly relaxed personality kind of thing....

I ask this because when I dont eat sugars/carbs sometimes I can become very irritable... I know the sleeve will make me feel full... but will it trick my brain into not recognizing that it is not getting its usual dosage of carbs.. I know I have an addiction to carbs.. because I lose the ability to focus,, irritability,, and short tempered, but once I eat some cereal or cookies I am fine... I am by no means a big sugar eater.. (denial),, but I have spent several years participaing in recreational sugar usage.. (smile),,

Jessica Houston
on 7/24/11 1:09 am - Wichita, KS
I personally feel that once you get past the first week or so, I lost the cravings for sugar!  I still occasionally want them, but I know if  I have the refined carbs that it is a slippery slope! Kinda like crack! If you slip up  & take just a little you will want more & more!!!     Really in that first week it is like going through detox!  But you will get to feeling better! 
HW: 245lbs SW:232lbs; CW: 206.2lbs;  GW:125lbs  Height 5ft 2in 

Msbfree
on 7/24/11 3:01 am - Red Oak, TX
 I remeber once when I attempted to become a vegetarian,, I did have to detox, and the support that I had then explained that I would have withdrawal symptoms to the foods I had eaten for so long,, I however upped my carb intake to help with hunger,, but I do remember the symptoms and it did reside after short period.  Thanks

lann08
on 7/24/11 1:32 am - VA
Mine wasn't related to carb intake. I became more vocal, more outgoing. When I was heavier, I just wanted to blend in and not be noticed. I didn't want to do anything that would draw attention to myself. Not so anymore. I'm not flashier, loud or anything like that. It's just that I speak up now. If I have an opinion, I don't remain silent. I want to be heard. I think that with weightloss, many of us find a new self confidence. For some of us, it does mean becoming more vocal. For others, it is a quieter, more confident presence...they don't feel like they have to be the 'life of the party' or the jolly fat person. I've seen both results happen for people on this board.
Msbfree
on 7/24/11 2:59 am - Red Oak, TX

Thanks,, I can see how that change could happen,, I am already very vocal,, I could probably benefit from taking a more confident quiet stance.. but I've got a feeling that if I experience the result seen on this forum I will probably think of every situation as my opportunity to take center stage.. (smile)

MrsHelm1012
on 7/24/11 3:29 am - Washingtonville, PA
hahaha. Recreational sugar usage. You crack me up!!  I have found that I have become more vocal. I have lost a little over 60 lbs, and it has given me a voice. I used to feel like I had to go along with what people were saying because.. I was soooo fat, why would anyone like me? I thought it would be better to not ruffle any feathers.. I had to do whatever I could for people to be my friends. Sad but true. Now... I feel like, Screw you. If you dont like me. Thats your problem. I am ALLOWED to have my own opinions, and if someone doesnt like them, thats ok. Not saying I am always right, just that I am entitled to express my thoughts and feelings like everyone else. About the carb and sugar usage. I do try to stay away from as much sugar and carbs as possible. That being said, I am not afraid to eat a slice of bread. For breakfast every morning I have a slice of bread (NUT approved bread.. Its light, smaller than other slices of bread and only has 45 cals) with peanut butter and cut up banana on top. I can wat about 3/4 of it. I find that I only crave sugar during that time of the month... And then its like an uncontrollable need for sugar.

sublimate
on 7/24/11 3:53 am - San Jose, CA

I've noticed I am really struggling with a lot of the mental changes of this journey.  People are treating me differently and it's hard for me to process mentally.  I feel like I don't know the person in the mirror anymore.  I feel like I'm on a roller coaster emotionally most days. 

It doesn't help that I'm also changing jobs and getting a divorce.  It's hard for me to separate out how much of my situation is physical, emotional, related to weight loss changes.  I'm a wreck most days to be honest though.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

Msbfree
on 7/24/11 6:05 am - Red Oak, TX
Dont be alarmed but I started seriously tearing up after reading your response as well as the others remarks.. My emotional states is less than perfect right now.. And I am hoping to regain something I am missing with the weight loss... I know that like you I will see a difference in people behaviors.. I even think that I will sort of feel I am above people remarks and attitudes regardless if they are positive or negative once I lose the weight . Not sure whats to come...  And although this decision to lose weight is so that I can  be healthy. I keep thinking about the walls that were created to avoid negativity from people I love, and how I am to wiggle my way back into a real relationships with them...  NOTE: I am self pay,, so I did not get the psych consult , ,, sorry for using the OH for this mess,,, but I fell better after expressing this,,,

All of these feeling started when a muched love uncle said "You really need to stop focusing on how you look and more on how your treating your family" (I began isolating myself, when I picked up weight about 7 years ago,, I got really tired of the "I cant believe you've gotten so big", remarks, and my favorite,, "I just never thought you would be that big",, ),, It keeps ringing in my head.. 

I hope you get to feeling better... Is the new job something that you've wanted,,, maybe a change of environment will give you a new start.. with your new look... I hope the best for you !!!

sublimate
on 7/25/11 1:19 am - San Jose, CA
On July 24, 2011 at 1:05 PM Pacific Time, Msbfree wrote:
Dont be alarmed but I started seriously tearing up after reading your response as well as the others remarks.. My emotional states is less than perfect right now.. And I am hoping to regain something I am missing with the weight loss... I know that like you I will see a difference in people behaviors.. I even think that I will sort of feel I am above people remarks and attitudes regardless if they are positive or negative once I lose the weight . Not sure whats to come...  And although this decision to lose weight is so that I can  be healthy. I keep thinking about the walls that were created to avoid negativity from people I love, and how I am to wiggle my way back into a real relationships with them...  NOTE: I am self pay,, so I did not get the psych consult , ,, sorry for using the OH for this mess,,, but I fell better after expressing this,,,

All of these feeling started when a muched love uncle said "You really need to stop focusing on how you look and more on how your treating your family" (I began isolating myself, when I picked up weight about 7 years ago,, I got really tired of the "I cant believe you've gotten so big", remarks, and my favorite,, "I just never thought you would be that big",, ),, It keeps ringing in my head.. 

I hope you get to feeling better... Is the new job something that you've wanted,,, maybe a change of environment will give you a new start.. with your new look... I hope the best for you !!!

Thank you sweetie.  It's just a lot of changes at once and it's hard for me to process. I don't deal with changes that well anyway.  I am just getting through this by focusing on thinking that I am strong and I can get through this.  I fear that the new job won't like me.. that's what my anxiety is about.

I had a great job for 3 years where they loved me and was offered a new job with more money and better benefits, so since I am divorcing I really needed that stability.  But the price of that stability is going into the unknown.. was a hard choice for me.  Hugs..

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

theshrinkingmimi
on 7/24/11 3:59 am
Maybe you can get ready for surgery by making some changes now. (for some reason I'm thinking that you didn't have surgery yet- if so, oops.)  Instead of cold-turkey quitting, decrease your recreational usage.  Less amounts, less often, and more whole grains and less white flour.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views