Ok more questions... Please Help!!

HeatherLynn21
on 7/25/11 8:26 am - NV
So... I am reading all these post and seeing where I fit in and what not. I had surgery 6 days ago. I am so far down 16lbs. Is it normal to lose that much weight within the first few days?

Also... Does anyone have any suggestions of "thicker" liquids or even clear liquids other than broth and protein shakes? I need some varitey... It is driving me crazy!!!

Now for those of you who are 6+ months out... Be honest with me... Is the saggy skin BAD? Is there something I can do to try to prevent it from happening? Or at least limit the amount of it? I am really worried about this effect my sex life, or even how I feel emotionally looking in the mirror. I am only 21, so I have VERY youthful skin, but does that even matter?

emelar
on 7/25/11 8:35 am - TX
Skin - your age is in your favor for you skin to bounce back.  Genetics also play a factor along with how long you've been carrying the extra weight around.  Truth is, you won't know until you lose the weight.

There is no "normal" on loss after surgery.  You'll lose at YOUR rate.  16 lbs sounds just peachy to me!  But don't be shocked if you stop losing for awhile (search for "3 week stall").  Stalls happen and there's not a whole lot you can do other than wait them out.

Does your post-op diet allow popsicles/fudgesicles?  They were lifesavers for me.  Check with your nutritionist and see what else you can have.
cancelsbronx
on 7/25/11 8:58 am - Stamford, CT
Walk, Walk and some more walking.  Besides you are relatively young.  At the end of your journey if something is hanging you can always put it back in place with a little surgery.  Do not be turned off about that at this point.  I have lost over a hundred pounds, first with the band and now with my revision surgery the gastric sleeve and all I think I need is a tummy tuck.  To make matters worse I am 42 yrs old and feel guilty because I did not exercise as much as I should have, I am walking around more now.  

For drinks, try propel, crystal light , coolers 10 calories, water, sugarfree jello.  Make sure you pass this by your nutritionist or doctor. 

Best regards, 

Santos in Bronx NY 

MN_Mama
on 7/25/11 9:27 am
I love the Sobe no cal/no carb drinks.  There's many flavors, they aren't too sweet.  Some people like the Fuze, but they taste too sweet for me now, although they are good cut with water.  Propel makes some decent flavored waters.

Don't forget you can make your own flavored waters and drinks.  I made lemon and limeade with Splenda, yummy!   Just remember to strain all the seeds and pulp out.  Later, when you've healed, raspberries and strawberries make great lemonade flavors.  Don't let any of the little seeds in your tummy for a while though--they can cause problems.

Koolade packets can be mixed with 1/2 to 3/4 cup of Splenda and mixed up like Crystal light.  It's ridiculous how great a change to kid*****h flavored drink can be after weeks of the same old, same old!

I liked a couple of soy and almond milks for a change.  Jus****ch that you don't get the sugar ones. 

Keep on taking care of yourself.  It's not too long now, and it's totally worth it. 

kanga003
on 7/25/11 9:33 am
I had surgery on Tuesday...

So far I have had both vanilla and chocolate max protien shakes made with water... just now I am sipping the vanilla one with cinnimon sprinked on top... yum!

I have had 3 kinds of crystal light, power aid zero, sf popsicles and today finally made it to my "1/2 cup snack" in this case 98% fat free brocolli and cheader soup with skim milk blended... SO good... I could only get in 1/4 cup though :-(  Also had some jello, am allowed cottage cheese, unsweatened apple sauce (though I am avoiding it), sf pudding, stuff like that.

I am doing okay so far, and in a week  or two I get to add protien.. like tuna and chicken :-)

I can't wait til I can have the in the microwake cheese crisps :-)  I LOVE those!
ms_dar
on 7/25/11 9:59 am - Canada

Good for you with your weight loss but don't be surprised when that suddenly STOPS and feels like the scale doesn't move forever(probably a week or two).  Personally, I would rather have saggy elephant skin any day than live with overstuffed stretched out bulges.  I am now almost 10 months out and even at my advanced age(mid50s) I am not as saggy as i was at 6 months post op.  I am not an exercise freak but do try to get some water exercise in at least once a week along with plain old walking a few times weekly.  Your sex life will get so much better when you lose some weight and can actually move without gasping for air.  Exercise is a prime factor in  having skin go back to normal looking but youth is very much in your favour too.

disabled_nurse
on 7/25/11 10:11 am - Bogalusa, LA
go to www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com she has some great ice cream recipes that you put your protein powder in....................... they are a great change from all liquids.........................your liquids will just be frozen!!!! ;o)

Cupcakemusician
on 7/25/11 1:52 pm - TX
 i lost 23 lbs my first week or two. now i am 6 months out. the skin is not that bad. i workout 3-4 days a week faithfully. my arms have extra skin that might need plastic surgery in the future. i have a little extra skin on my tummy area, but thats what SPANX are for :)
it has NOT affected my sex life with my bf. i think tht dept has gotten way more fun and much more enjoyable. he could care less about the extra skin. i've come a long way and i think our spouses support us and are excited about our new bodies as much as we are. hope this helps! 

heathermc44
on 7/25/11 2:08 pm - Bremerton, WA
I saw your name and just had to say hi.  My name is Heather Lynn also!  How ironic.

frisco
on 7/25/11 7:45 pm

Just lose the weight...........

Let the skin do what it's gonna do......

You have maximum advantage with your age.....and if you need plastics, age is also on your side.

The skin can only come back so far........

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 394 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op