Liquid pre-op... NO creamed soup!? NO yogurt?.. What?!

3sweetpeas
on 7/27/11 1:11 am - Tehachapi, CA
From reading on here I was pretty sure I could have strained low fat creamed soups and plain non fat yogurt.. however, I called my bariatric center yesterday just to be sure, and they said NOPE!

Ok.. I knew this would be hard, but without the heaviness of creamed soups and yogurt... Egh. I barely had 500 calories yesterday and that's because I had a creamed soup early in the morning. I tried a meal replacement shake but I threw it right up, make me sick to my stomach!

With that said, I'm doing better with this than I thought I would.. I haven't shoved my kids in closets yet, so that's a plus!
Tamara
Highest BMI & Weight during VSG journey -- 44.5 / 259
Current BMI & Weight -- 37.8 / 220

Jenny C.
on 7/27/11 1:15 am
My pre-op diet's main purpose was to shrink the liver for surgery--and that means a very low carb diet.  I didn't have to do liquids, but I did have to eat less than 30g of carbs per day.  I don't know if you have access to a Costco, but the Premier protein shakes are pretty good & have 5g carbs.

3sweetpeas
on 7/27/11 1:23 am - Tehachapi, CA
Yep, I actually have those now.. Im sick of them though and need to go pick up a few flavors of Nectar protein next time I go to my surgeons office.

They did tell me to stay below 30g of carbs.. And 900 calories or less. No sugar, low/non fat.
Tamara

Pbell
on 7/27/11 1:22 am
 I had to drink either 6 Boosts or 6 Slim-Fasts a day... for 14 days!!!! oh of course jello was in there too.. but the liquid diet is the worse thing... it is all down hill from there!!!!

3sweetpeas
on 7/27/11 1:26 am - Tehachapi, CA
Yeah, I have slim fast here.. That is what made me sick yesterday. I'm going to try and chug one again today though. They are nasty!
Tamara

Ms Shell
on 7/27/11 1:26 am - Hawthorne, CA
So according to their plan you can have protein shakes but not creamed soups...

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

3sweetpeas
on 7/27/11 1:29 am - Tehachapi, CA
Yep!

Protein fine.. No creamed soups.
Sugar free pudding popsicles ok... Sugar free Jello brand pudding not ok.

I dunno about anyone else.. But the pudding thing makes no sense to me. This liquid diet just seems very, very strict compared to other pre op diets. Lucky me.. LOL
Tamara

Cristina S.
on 7/27/11 1:53 am - New Britain, CT
I have the same kind of diet. Except for my 4 shakes a day with skim milk everything has to be clear like broth (veggie, beef and chicken), SF Jello, SF pospicles and water. That's it!  I did lose 5 lbs. in my first week so it is worth it when you get weighed. After a few days you won't feel as hungry. The worst times are at night and when I feel like variety. I've tried mixing different types of broth to get different flavors to break the monotony. It's been a week and a day and I'm surviving. Just remember it is something sucky you have to do to make your life better in the long run. Oh and make sure you use a blender or a shaker because mixing it with just a spoon will not cut it yuck!

3sweetpeas
on 7/27/11 2:03 am - Tehachapi, CA
Well, I drank a vanilla slim fast and don't seem queasy like was from the chocolate.. So that's good!
Tamara

Could_It_Be
on 7/27/11 2:30 am
I suggest NOT chugging the shakes. Get them super cold, even blend with ice and sip.

VSG on 6/22/11
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views