Met with my surgeon and moving right along!

LISA C.
on 7/28/11 10:48 am - NJ
VSG on 02/22/12
I met with my new surgeon yesterday and was very impressed with him and the entire staff.  I had done so much research myself and educated myself and knew that I wanted the sleeve and not the band or bypass.  He explained everything very clearly and I felt comfortable with him. 

I have Aetna so have to do the pysch eval and the 90 days supervised diet.  The good news is that I am already well into the process because I started this back in May with another surgeon and was planning on getting the lap band.  More research led me to believe the sleeve would be a better optionm, so here I am.   My BMI is 35.2 and my co-morbidity is sleep apnea (I had to have a sleep study which fortunately showed that I have severe sleep apnea - a strange thing to be happy about, but I needed that co-morbidity in order for Aetna to pay).  I have my final visit with the dietician on August 24, and I already had the psych eval (was cleared for surgery but advised to have counseling for emotional eating, which I am doing since I realize that if the emotional component to overeating doesn't get fixed, no surgery will help me). 

So I feel relieved that things are moving in the right direction, although my feelings alternate between excitement and sheer terror.  The other thing I'm struggling with is the fact that no one - no one - is really supportive of this decision.  DH, my family and friends have all tried their best to talk me out of it and said diet and exercise is all I need. Yeah, hello, wish I would have thought of that.  I keep telling them that I need more help than that. I can tell you that I am not telling another soul because, quite frankly, I am tired of feeling the need to defend my decision.  Yes, I have 70 pounds to lose, which might not seem a lot for bariatric surgery, but it's a lot for me! 

This board is such a lifeline for me; thanks everyone for sharing the good, the bad, and the ugly.  It helps us newbies greatly!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views