Advice on pudding, not sugar free

KauaiLulu
on 7/31/11 11:31 am - HI
I was sleeved Wednesday so 4th day post-op.  Can get in liquids and proteins but wondered if it is a big deal to eat  regular pudding as that was purchased for me rather than regular.  I understand as I move towards eating regular foods that regular items have more carbs but during this early transitional stage do you think it is okay?

Thanks!
Enjoying the journey......

ruggie
on 7/31/11 11:38 am - Sacramento, CA
This is a personal decision, and I'm sure you'll get different responses.

My surgeon cautioned me to take in less than 40 g of carbs a day, and a small serving of regular pudding or yogurt can have 10 or 15 g alone.  The main reason is that simple carbs lead you to being hungry, and you eat more....

I have a new philosophy on food purchase.  I don't let money dictate my food choices anymore, I buy the best food for me.  That means I throw away or waste food if I don't think it's the best for me.  I'd pass on regular pudding, or pudding altogether... not much protein in it really, and it would take away from my caloire limit without adding to my protein goal.

On the the other hand, in moderation, you'll probably be alright.  I'd say if you are hungry after eating it, stop having it.  Or add protein poweder to the pudding, which will slow how fast you process the sugar in it.

Good luck!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

gogt
on 7/31/11 12:01 pm - RI
I would give it to someone or throw it out. Why take the risk. Pudding was not on my first week of post op diet. Why go through what you have, only to risk it on pudding?
IrishColleen
on 7/31/11 11:58 am - Owosso, MI
 Yeah, what Ruggie said.  And to add to it, I add to the SF pudding 1-2 scoops of non-fat dry milk which adds the protein.  I just haven't broke down and ordered the Unjury unflavored yet which I have heard has less carbs than the NFD milk.

I agree completely with Ruggie that whatever it costs, I'm worth it.  I'm not buying McD's, or eating out all the time, my lunches are packed at home now, if I eat 1/2 cup of cottage cheese I want it to taste great not the cheap stuff.  We are eating so little that we can be smart, healthy AND stil save money for all those new clothes and shoes we'll be buying instead of food!

So donate the pudding to the food bank and pick up the SF instead. 

You are so completely worth more than the cost of a few boxes of pudding.

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity and fear but a spirit of power and love and self discipline."  2 Tim. 1:7     So with HIS power, love and self-discipline - I WILL DO THIS!
HW:250 SW: 232 CW: 164  GW: 150 
diamondranch1
on 7/31/11 11:58 am - San Felipe, Mexico
Sugar Free, Fat Free and I at lots of it in the beginning and still now 7 months out.

redsnapper1975
on 7/31/11 12:11 pm
I wouldn't do it.  I'd eat something else until you ge tthe right stuff- perhaps it can even be exchanged at the store- a pain, I know.  I never had pudding on my "can" list.  :( 
~ Kim

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 1:05 pm

I love pudding and hate protein drinks.  So I take 2 cups of milk and add 3 scoops of vanilla protein powder (I use vanilla protein powder no matter the pudding flavor). Stir it up and add a box of Sugar free pudding mix.  Each of the 4 servings of pudding have lots of protein.  How much depends on your protein powder.  Don't forget to add the protein of your milk.  I find that I like butterscotch pudding and 1% milk.  My servings work out to be 18 grams of protein. Not bad! 
Cali1212
on 8/1/11 1:27 am
I wouldn't worry about it being sugar free at this point. You are probably not getting in enough calories to worry about how little of the pudding you will probably eat. I tried sugar free and it was too sweet so I switched back and it was much easier on my tummy. I was told not to worry about carbs for the first 30-35 days. Once you are on solids then start counting carbs!

KathyA999
on 8/1/11 3:07 am
It's not so much an issue of calories, which I agree, you're not getting enough calories to worry about it at this phase.

But eating sugared pudding (or sugared anything) depends on whether you're sugar-sensitive.  Does eating sugar cause you to want/crave more?  If so, toss the pudding.  One of the real benefits of the liquids phase (and the pre-op liquids, if your surgeon required it) is that we're pretty much forced to detox from sugar and refined carbs.  And after a few days of sugar/carb-free eating, craving goes away, if we are one of those who gets cravings.  It only comes back when we eat these things again.  My recommendation would be to take advantage of this sugar/carb-free phase, so that when you move to regular foods you will be less compelled by cravings to eat the wrong things.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Lisa J.
on 8/1/11 7:48 am - OK
At 4 days out I couldn't have tolerated pudding, sugar free or not. Didn't even want to eat. You may or may not have a bit of a dumping syndrome.....and especially this early out I'd avoid that at all costs. They continue to say that dumping doesn't happen to VSG'ers but I beg to differ. Perhaps on a different level than an RNY patient, but still not a fun thing. 

Seriously you're already able to do 80+/- oz of liquid and 40 oz +/-of protein at 4 days out? Obviously different surgeons have different guidelines but even if it's in the ballpark I am shocked!

Lisa J
OKC
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views