Need a little reassurance...

Vicki J.
on 7/31/11 11:29 am - VA
So I'm about 3-1/2 weeks out from surgery and am still in the pureed phase.  I'm having a few issues though and I'm wondering if this is normal or what...

I measure my food as recommended, and I hear so many people say they are "sooo full" after eating only one ounce.  My issue?  I'm not!!  Not even close!  I make myself stop eating, though.  My doctor told me that I could possibly handle 2 oz. at a sitting and if I do that, it's only once a day.  It's making me really nervous that I'm able to hold more than a lot of people seem to at this point.  I can eat a whole egg with a bit of reduced fat cheese in it.  I hear most peple say that they can only eat a half of one; that type of thing.  I realize that everyone's different.  But...I'd really like to feel that "full" feeling!  Right now I'm eating a lot of tuna, chicken and refried beans.

Will my restriction really take hold once I'm able to eat protein that's more dense?

Thanks for taking the time to read and/or respond!

Vicki

SD: 07/07/11     Height:  5'9-1/2"     SW: 283     GW:  170     Current Weight:  167

ruggie
on 7/31/11 11:33 am - Sacramento, CA
I'm right there with you, and I think it's the food density.

I've noticed things like yogurt or cottage cheese don't cause as much restriction for me, but if I switch to chewing up and swallowing tuna or tofu, oh boy, the restriction is there.

The important thing is to do what you're doing, and eat foods by measuring, not by restriction.  I know Frisco has a nice write-up on that topic.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Vicki J.
on 7/31/11 11:35 am - VA
Thanks!  :)

SD: 07/07/11     Height:  5'9-1/2"     SW: 283     GW:  170     Current Weight:  167

acbbrown
on 7/31/11 11:37 am - Granada Hills, CA
I was able to eat a whole egg when I started purees/soft food. I freaked out, but oh well...more protein for me :)

I'm 7 weeks out, I have absolutely no feelings - no hunger, no full feelings, nada. If I stuff myself (which I did once on accident...) then I just feel nauseous and want to puke, but otherwise, I just eat my pre-measured food and call it a meal.

If you eat until you feel full - that's not a good thing. That's kind of what got us here to begin with.  Let your stomach heal without putting pressure on your new staple lines. Learn to appreciate the difference between satisfied vs full.

Now that I am eating solids, I havent' noticed any difference since I still don't feel anything. I'm hoping one day I'll be eating and be like - that''s enough. (i'm just glad that I'm able to just eat my 2 oz or whatever and be okay for now)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Vicki J.
on 7/31/11 11:40 am - VA
You're so right!  I know that I have a lot of adapting left to do, and most of it is in my head!  :)  I've been chasing that "full" feeling my whole life, and I guess I just need to keep telling myself that being "full" is not necessarily the best thing now.  Thanks for the reminder.  :)

Tonya614
on 7/31/11 11:44 am, edited 7/31/11 11:44 am - Jacksonville, FL
That's interesting because I was wondering about that. I am having no problem drinking my fluids and eating my jello, pudding, yogurt, soups......I don't get that absolute FULL  feeling. I am only a week out post op but I was thinking....OMG what happens when I start on soft foods. Will I get that full feeling????
USAF Wife
on 7/31/11 11:45 am
Try to work on mentally being satisfied, and NOT feeling physically full.

I realize this is difficult when we are used to eating large portions, but I can tell you chasing that full feeling that you mentioned will only end up causing you to either be uncomfortable, puke, or overeat on your calorie goals.

Also, remember that your stomach is healing. It's been partially amputated, I think people sometimes forget how traumatic this surgery really is especially if people don't have issues eating and drinking. I always think if I had my leg amputated at the knee would I toss the crutches after 3 weeks and hobble around on my nub??? Nope, I sure wouldn't.

Your nerves have cut off, stapled, and damaged, you aren't necessarily going to "feel" anything in there.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 11:56 am
I guess I am A LOT different than most I have restriction and I do have the sense of being full. I had my surgery on 07/13.
(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 11:58 am
I'm 4 1/2 weeks out.  Definitely the softer the food the easier it goes down. I can drink a whole cup of protein soup in like 5 minutes. But it takes me at least 30 minutes to eat 2 oz. of chicken. I can eat a whole egg (Egg beaters equivalent) but if I try to eat the same amount of refried beans it's not so easy.

I don't feel full like I used to, not the OMG my belly is about to burst and it hurts to move kind of full. But I can certainly feel a feeling of satiety. When I first start eating the food looks and smells so good and my mouth waters and I really enjoy the first few bites. Then after a while it's like "Meh, it's ok." That's when I usually stop eating. When I get to the point where I know I won't be thinking about food for the next couple of hours.

I think you'll feel more restriction as your nerves wake up and you move on to denser food. Don't worry and don't pu**** 
IrishColleen
on 7/31/11 12:10 pm - Owosso, MI
You're telling my story!  Doesn't feel like much restriction - 2 oz's???  How about 4 on a regular basis, of course it's still mushies but ...

One thing we all have to do is to retrain our brain and forget what Mama told you and remember that we DO NOT have to clear our plates.  We DO NOT have to eat everything we take.  We may not feel full but we are!  That's why we measure!  So were not guessing, supposing and being wrong.

I learned this past weekend to put the fork down or better yet put it away.  I kept nibbling at my the food on my plate, while my hubby finished his meal, not because I was hungry but because it was sitting in front of me.  I told him and he jumped up with my plate and put it in the kitchen.  Thank you dear!  The next night when I said boy that was good, he did the same thing.  Sometimes we need help to develop these new habits but don't worry, it will come for all of us.

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity and fear but a spirit of power and love and self discipline."  2 Tim. 1:7     So with HIS power, love and self-discipline - I WILL DO THIS!
HW:250 SW: 232 CW: 164  GW: 150 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 116 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 345 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 397 views