Passing gas after surgery?

tripmom02
on 8/3/11 1:29 pm - NJ
 I had my surgery on Monday morning, I have not had a bowl movement or passed any real gas since then, is this nomal? How long can it take? 

If I have not really had any change by the morning I am going to call the doctor, but thought you guys might be able to put my mind at rest over night.

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

KauaiLulu
on 8/3/11 1:34 pm - HI
 I had my surgery one week ago today.  I did not have a bowel movement until Sunday.  And the old "liquid in - liquid out" held true.  It was a rather urgent need and lasted for about hour and half. Since we are not "eating" anything it makes sense to not need to go plus your whole insides are kinda a little wonky since you just had a surgeon inside your stomach cutting and moving things.  So do not worry.  I then did not go again until today so it's seems to take several days to get anything going (at least for me.)

I hear that after introducing mushies and more normal food that things turn around completely and you may suffer constipation.  So either way it is super important to get the fluids in which in turns causes the fluids out, haha

Best of luck!

Lulu
Enjoying the journey......

frisco
on 8/3/11 1:40 pm

By all means.... contact your doc.... that is always the correct thing to do......

That said..... Early out.....

"Never Trust a Fart"

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

IrishColleen
on 8/3/11 1:41 pm - Owosso, MI
 Are you feeling discomfort from gas or bloating?  It's possible your doc did such an excellent job of getting the gas/air out of you before he sewed up that you don't have too much.  That's a good thing!

As far as the bowel movement, I agree with what was said before.  It was about a week before I had one and then it was liquid.  Don't stress it but call you doc in the a.m. they would want to relieve your mind and/or give you some advice.

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity and fear but a spirit of power and love and self discipline."  2 Tim. 1:7     So with HIS power, love and self-discipline - I WILL DO THIS!
HW:250 SW: 232 CW: 164  GW: 150 
anewsweetjessa
on 8/3/11 1:52 pm - IA
My Dr told me intestines are the last to start working again but they will start working and you will feel a million times better its coming dont worry lol oh and that seems to be where weight loss really starts coming !

Punkinchan
on 8/3/11 2:03 pm
Don't worry.  I didn't have a BM for a whole week after my surgery.  (This Friday will be my three week anniversary).  Even now I'm not as regular as I'd once been before surgery, but I just assume that's because I'm not consuming that many solids.   Also, I burped a lot after surgery, but toots took a few days.  It was pretty embarassing when I finally managed a toot and my mother cheered for joy.    
Cristina S.
on 8/3/11 2:07 pm - New Britain, CT
 I just had surgery yesterday and I haven't had gas. I know my doctor said he would remove all the air. No BM either not that I'm complaining. 

Jean B.
on 8/3/11 2:20 pm - Los Angeles, CA
I didn't pass gas or have a BM until the morning I left the hospital after surgery (my doc had me stay two nights). Unfortunately, they came at the same time.
kimbethin
on 8/3/11 2:42 pm - CA
Do a lot of walking- helps get the gas moving and call the doc just to be safe
putting one foot in front of the other...        
Marcia B.
on 8/3/11 3:32 pm - CA
it was about 2 days before I passed gas, and 4 days before a BM but I was sent home and told to use colace if I hadn't had a BM in 3 days.  Took 2 pills one on the 3rd day and one in the morning on the 4th day and no problem.  If you are concerned or just have questions I would def. call your doctor's office they can help :)
Philippians 4:13 -  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 307 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 353 views