OT: Weight as a line of attack (Chris Christie)

brownblonde
on 8/4/11 7:53 am
 I don't care what you political persuasion is, but I was angered yesterday when I heard pundits talking about Chris Christie (Gov. NJ).  Don't like him?  Fine.  But how sad is it that every time I hear someone talking about Christie, his weight invariably comes up.  How does that have anything to do with anything?  I heard these pundits suggesting that he might not be able to handle the rigor of the campaign trail (this is a valid point), but the comments like "he needs to hit a few more salad bars" or "that guy needs to show some self restraint and back away from the buffet."  First, it sounds petty and silly that someone can't make legitimate claims about some politician.  Secondly, I hate how it perpetuates this idea that weight has a direct relationship to someone's drive or discipline.  Urgh.  Vent over.

fysicsgrl
on 8/4/11 8:14 am
I completely agree.  I just turned on the TV and Tyra was talking about the same sort of things.  She just said that if some of the things that are said to obese people were said to a different race the person would be considered racist, but in our country it's ok to say them to obese people.

Lynnww666
on 8/4/11 8:52 am - Canada
Don't know much about your politicians, but it seems to be the same here. A couple of years ago our prime minister made a visit to troops in Afghanistan and every news cast seemed to have something about his spare tire, about how he'd gained quite a few pounds, blah, blah!
I personally have no time for him, but it ticked me off to hear people comment about his weight rather than his politics.
And I know that many people who would object to a racist joke or a gay joke find it just fine and dandy if someone makes a crack about someone's weight. On TV etc., people who would NEVER make a statement about race or sexual orientation for fear of being thought bad, have no trouble giggling over someone's excess pounds.
When it comes to nasty humour, I think we are the last acceptable target.
Lynn
Quien quiera pescado que se moje el culo
Dec. 2010 weight 355, surgery weight 292 Current weight 199

MN_Mama
on 8/4/11 9:34 am
It's called discrimination and bigotry.  Yet, from David Letterman and Jay Leno to the airlines and school programs, it's 'funny', 'humorous', and legal.      It's also WRONG, and needs to be addressed when it happens, by whomever hears it. 

It is wrong to discriminate against people for their skin color, eye color, sex, physical abilities or disabilities, sexual orientation, their religious beliefs (or non-beliefs) and there has been some headway made, but we, as the human race, have a loooooong way to go. 

I am trying to use my experiences as both a non-fat child/young adult, and a morbidly obese adult, and soon, a non-obese adult, to fight for the rights of everyone to live in a safe, respectful, dignified and compassionate world, starting with my little corner of it..... today...... tomorrow...... and the next day.  

Good post.  Thank you.

tripmom02
on 8/4/11 9:54 am - NJ
I think there are so many legitimate things they could attack him for on the political front that they should not even have to resort to talking about his weight. He is a political/public figure and he is mean, so I can understand why some might try and hit him below the belt, but I would never condone it. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

MediumSoon
on 8/4/11 1:54 pm - TX
I hadn't heard those comments - and I'm a BIG fan of CC. However, a politician's health is a valid discussion point in my opinion. AND - OH MY GOODNESS!! Your new avatar is AWESOmE!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views