GREAT NYT opinion piece today

k__
on 8/14/11 5:08 am - Bellevue, WA
DS on 08/06/15
This came across my twitter feed today. I know it's very relevant to feelings I'm having regarding upcoming VSG and so thought it could be for many of you too! Enjoy!

"I won't have the stomach for this" http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/opinion/sunday/i-wont-have -the-stomach-for-this.html?_r=1&ref=opinion
The_Chungs
on 8/14/11 5:59 am
Thanks for sharing.  It was beautifully written (I'm an English teacher so I really appreciate that).  It also made me glad that I took an OHers suggestion pre-op and indulged in food funerals, just like her!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -  Confucius  
Height:  5'10  HW:  400  SW:  374.6  GW:  160    

Crunchy As Can Be
on 8/14/11 6:50 am - NY
Yes, this was a wonderful article. Thank you so much for sharing!
 ~~Emily~~

colelea613
on 8/14/11 8:17 am - LA
With  her eating habits based in such joy and memories, I can't imagne how hard for her to let go of her "food".  For me my "food"  was a hiding place.  Food calmed my nerves and releived my boredom.  Food helped me build a wall around myself.  Protecting myself from pain and rejection.

I wish I had memories of food like her.  But then again I don't want my happiness tied to food.

I want my happiness tied to experiences: love, travel, and me.
    Cole

(deactivated member)
on 8/14/11 10:05 am
Very good article, and as someone who has some cherished food memories and looks forward to making more.. I love this sentiment she has here: They will be small, but I will try to make them grand.

I too have traveled around food, and have destination restaurants I love, and want to have more.. heck one of the things I joked about to my husband pre-op was that I'll be able to go to L2O and actually be satisfied on the tiny portions! He'll likely end up eating some from my plate even..

Thanks for posting this!

Carlen T.
on 8/14/11 10:48 am - Fort Wayne, IN
I come from a family of cooks. My grandmother, my mother, my aunts, my sister, myself (blush). That is part of my problem = I enjoy food. I will just have to learn to enjoy food in a different way. By a spoonful or forkful, not by the plateful. Taste and smells from a kitchen are amazing memories, home made cakes, candies at holidays, etc. I will continue to make these things, just not indulge! Somehow, once I made this resolution, the thought doesn't dismay me any longer. I just want to continue to enjoy bringing that joy of sharing those tastes to other people who no longer bake or make home made candies or jewels of baking for special occasions. I'm also adjusting how I make these jewels from my kitchen, adjusting recipes and coming up with new ones. A new journey for a new me!

Carlen T        

MrsClaus09
on 8/14/11 9:32 pm
The difference is that your life will, eventually, be pretty much back to normal.  The author's life will never again be the same.  My heart breaks for her...
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 391 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views